Subject: [sidr] On 0/0 at the 5 TAs - Answers to some questions

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 11:39:35 -0300

Hi all,

In this second email, I will take most of the questions I identified in 
the directionz thread and we can take it from here:

1- Whether the RIRs are willing to "back up on this"
--
Depending on what is meant by 'this'. If 'this' refers to  'back up on 
the whole 0/0 idea', I of course cannot provide an absolute answer, but 
I don't think the RIRs are willing to do that just now.

However, we don't necessarily see 0/0 as a permanent state, just as the 
previous one wasn't.

If 'this' refers to WG adoption, definitely. If the WG doesn't want the 
document, then we are fine with that. We will probably pursue an 
independent submission since we believe that it’s important that this 
gets documented within the IETF.

2. Regarding how the top levels of the cert tree will look like (Roque)
--
Roque asks whether there will be a 2nd level certificate that will list 
the resources each RIR has, in the same way as today's top level 
certificates do.

Short answer: it will be RIR-dependent.

A bit longish answer:

In our case (LACNIC), we will probably do what you've described, but 
just because that is the simplest thing for us to do. However, bear in 
mind we don't have inter-RIR transfer policies that apply to us, and if 
such a policy gets approved we will probably review this decision.

If there is a need to have a way to list what an RIR's holdings are, 
there are ways to do that which do not involve RPKI. In fact, RPKI certs 
are not authoritative as of today. They are fed from other systems that 
are authoritative; systems that also feed the logic that generates the 
'delegated-extended-stats' files. Regarding listing resources, these 
files are just as authoritative as the RPKI certs are.

An RIR's holdings can be easily aggregated up by looping through the 
delegated-extended files. If there is a community need that the RIRs 
publish a file stating which our holdings are, we are open to talk about 
it.

Again, thanks for all your feedback.

-Carlos