Subject: Re: [Sidrops] IXP Route Server question

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 08:39:49 -0800

>> If the underlying question is "should the ASPA path validation
>> algorithm have a corner case that accommodates this?", that is a
>> very, very firm "no" from me!
> 
> aol

opologies, it seems i used an american idiom, and an antique one at
that.  a few folk were brave enough to ask, so ...

tl;dr: precursor of +1

long, and probably somewhat incorrect, answer in the spirit of trying to
keep net cultural history alive.  someone better at net cultural history
than i can probably point you to historical documents.

back in the '80s, there were two large walled gardens of dial-up users,
America Online (AOL) and CompuServe.  when the pressure of the
internet's success started forcing their gates, the first breach was
gateways to the usenet.

aol citizens were over enthusiastic eager beavers known for "meee tooo!"
so the first shorthand for "me too" became "aol."  i am not sure when
"+1" came in, but a decade or so later.  maybe folk had to learn to
count first.

along a similar vein, the precursor to the SWAT attack was having a
truckload of compuserve install cd-roms sent to someone's home.  i am
not sure it was actually done, or was just apocrypha.

randy