Subject: Re: MTA Filters BOF request, LA IETF; Proposed Charter

From: "Matthew Wall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:53:51 -0500

--On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 12:49 +0100 "Tomas Fasth" <[email-masked]>
wrote: 

> These are the only alternatives that, IMO, can lead to an eventual IETF
> standard on the issue of MTA filtering. SIEVE can of course be part of
> that efford as the descriptive language of filtering rules, but it will
> not do by itself.

Not to punt on the excellent points Tomas brings up, which I mostly heartily
agree upon with respect to the issues we will need to tackle in future
years, but his conclusion (above) is my basic point. This is a tiny, first
step, one which doesn't offer a panacaea for many tricky issues, but does
suggest great utility in its limited sphere. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Wall                       mailto:[email-masked]
Cyrusoft International, Inc.       http://www.cyrusoft.com
Voice: 412 605 0499                Fax: 412 605 0705
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Proud Purveyors of the Mulberry IMAP Email Client
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tomas Fasth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:49:32 +0100

> suggest great utility in its limited sphere.

Would it be possible to draw a charter for this "delivery filtering"
working group which include goals addressing the issues I brought up?
It seem to me like a good idea to keep such issues together in the same
working group and try to provide an overall interoperable delivery
filtering standard.

--Tomas