Subject: Re: sieve vacation draft, really

From: Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 1999 16:29:12 -0400

> Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> From: [email-masked] (Alan Stebbens)
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:39:35 -0700
> 
> I am resending this.  I did not receive any response on the previous try,
> and there are serious usability issues with the vacation action.

> Can someone answer these questions about the VACATION statement:

> * does it generate replies to bulk mail?  If not, how does it decide not to?

Yes; what's the difference?  Users can selectively do vacation
responses, of course, but...

> * does it generate replies to "mailer-daemon", "Postmaster", "root", and
> other system accounts?

Implementation dependant (as of the next revision).

> * does it generate replies to mail with any subject containing the text:
> "[vacation]" or "[auto-response]"?  If so, why?  If not, are these the only
> two strings that are recognized as being generated by an email
> auto-responder.

Yes, why not?

> * does it generate mail not directly addressed to my account?  How does it
> know what my account is?  How can I tell VACATION what my account is (or
> are)?

No, read the spec, read the spec, respectively.  Text is there and will
be clarified in the revision.

> * does it generate responses to mail that I sent myself?  If so, couldn't
> this start a mail loop?  If not, how does it know what my account is or
> accounts are?

No, no, implementation-dependant with the provision that the user can
suppply additional addresses.  Even if the address checks fail, the loop 
is limited by message-id checks.

-- 
Tim Showalter <[email-masked]>