Subject: draft-murchison-sieve-regex-07.txt

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:53:00 -0500

As per the latest Sieve BOF, I have just sent in an update to the regex 
extension:

http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-regex-07.txt
ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-regex-07.txt

The major outstanding issues are what to do (if anything) about il8n, 
and should we allow the use of additional regex expressions, such as 
backreferences and/or variables.

Both of the last two items work with grouped parts of the regex but have 
a very subtle difference; the former is used within the regex and the 
latter is used outside of the regex.  Backreferences would probably be 
more useful with a body test (e.g. for matching HTML tags, etc) than 
with header or address/envelope test.  Here are examples (quite possibly 
cooked) of both:

# Backreferences example - Discard any subjects with double words
if header :regex "subject" "([A-Za-z]+) +\\1" {
   discard;
}

# Variables example - File IETF WG mail
if envelope :regex "from" "ietf-(.+)@imc.org" {
   fileinto "INBOX.ietf.$1;
}

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp