Subject: RE: Please shoot this ridiculous idea down.

From: Decktor Gev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:33:01 +0200

Hi Arnt and all,

We have been working in LEMONADE workgroup in IETF on such a solution for
the last 2 years(
As can be seen in lemonade charter (section 4)
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/lemonade-charter.html)
Our latest proposal was a protocol called SNAP
(http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-shapira-snap-05.txt). 
This protocols allows a persistent connection between the Email server and
the notification server, which in turn has the role of notifying the end
users which may be unconnected at the notification time.

There are still lots of open issues regarding this protocol, which led us to
roll back to a discussion about the scope of such protocol. This has led us
to a requirements draft for such protocol, which should be the baseline of
SNAP(or any other notification protocol)(
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-decktor-s2s-notif-00.txt)

If you also share this interest, it would be mostly appreciated if you'd
join the LEMONADE mailing list.

Regards,
Gev Decktor.

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnt Gulbrandsen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 5:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Christof Drescher
Subject: Please shoot this ridiculous idea down.

Hi,

I had a ridiculous idea earlier today. It really needs to be shot down. 
You have to help fix my brain.

Ready? Here it comes:

Managesieve should offer mail delivery notification.

The argument:

Mail delivery notification needs some sort of authentication, and it 
needs knowledge of when which mailboxes receive mail. Sieve has the 
latter. The natural way to get the former is to keep a TCP connection 
to somewhere, perhaps turn on TLS, authenticate, say "tell me about 
deliveries" and just listen. That way, TCP/TLS will make sure that if I 
disappear, noone else gets my news.

So, are two TCP protocols for talking to Sieve software desirable? I say 
that's one too much, which leaves me with the suggestion: Managesieve 
should offer mail delivery nofication. Ridiculous.

--Arnt