Subject: Re: Sieve Extension I-Ds(not) becoming RFCs and IANA assignments (e.g. refuse, and older ones, like vacation(!), regex, imapflags.

From: "Alexandros Vellis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 18:41:01 +0300 (EEST)

Matthew Elvey (FM) wrote:

> I guess the Sieve homepage at cyrussoft is sorely out of date (I emailed
> the maintainer (sieve%cyrusoft.com <mailto:[email-masked]>) a while
> back and didn't hear back - see below.)

On a side note, things have been a bit more active active in programs
starting to support SIEVE, such as DBMail and Exim4. When I submitted my
humble 'avelsieve' to get on Cyrussoft's implementations list, I didn't
hear back either. That list can probably do with some of the new software
that supports SIEVE.

-- 
Alexandros Vellis       University of Athens
[email-masked]         Network Operations Centre
Public Key: http://www.noc.uoa.gr/~avel/gpgkey.asc

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 11:56:58 -0400

Hi Alexandros,

--On Thursday, May 06, 2004 6:41 PM +0300 Alexandros Vellis 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

|> I guess the Sieve homepage at cyrussoft is sorely out of date (I emailed
|> the maintainer (sieve%cyrusoft.com <mailto:[email-masked]>) a while
|> back and didn't hear back - see below.)
|
| On a side note, things have been a bit more active active in programs
| starting to support SIEVE, such as DBMail and Exim4. When I submitted my
| humble 'avelsieve' to get on Cyrussoft's implementations list, I didn't
| hear back either. That list can probably do with some of the new software
| that supports SIEVE.

Please send any comments/suggestions for our SIEVE site direct to me at 
<mailto:[email-masked]>. Ironically, the email address for that site 
gets more spam than any of our others and so legitimate messages may get 
filtered out accidentally. I will try and make sure the documents page is 
up to date with the latest drafts etc

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Matthew Elvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 15:46:34 -0700

On 4/29/04 8:08 PM, Matthew Elvey (FM) sent forth electrons to convey:

>
> Wow, things have been quiet on this list.
> Anyone considering implementing draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt?

:(

> I just noticed draft-daboo-sieve-spamtest-01.txt became an RFC:
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3685.html - good, because the draft had 
> expired, and someone wants to reference it in another doc not as a 
> work-in-progress.
> I guess the Sieve homepage at cyrussoft is sorely out of date (I 
> emailed the maintainer (sieve%cyrusoft.com 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>) a while back and didn't hear back - see 
> below.)

Cyrus/CyruSoft has updated their sieve page considerably - looks good now.

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/sieve-extensions is presumably an 
> up-to-date listing of SIEVE extensions that have reached RFC status.
> RFC 3598 is the subaddress extension,
> RFC 3431 is the relational test,
>
> There aren't IANA assignments for the extensions vacation, regex, or 
> imapflags.
> Are their authors interested in progressing them to RFC status or 
> getting IANA assignments?  If I don't hear back, I'll take this up.

I created a page to track what Sieve implementations support what 
extensions here:
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/SieveExtensionsSupportMatrix.  
Edits, links welcome (DIY-Do It Yourself; it's a wiki).

>
> Any comments before I email iana%iana.org with the RFC # for spamtest, 
> and a reservation for "refuse"?

Emailed.

>
> On 4/14/2004 9:41 PM, Matthew Elvey sent forth electrons to 
> sieve%cyrusoft.com to convey:
>
>> Hi.  I was wondering if you'd add a list of links to sieve 
>> extensions.  None are officially beyond the I-D stage yet [wrong], 
>> but they are often at the <multiple implementations exist> stage.  If 
>> you'd like to, e.g. link to 
>> http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/#implementations, I'll put up a page 
>> there.
>> Hope you guys push Sieve along in the standardization process too, or 
>> if you're not doing that, make changes to improve it, like the one I 
>> suggest in my I-D for the 'refuse' extension.
>
No comment?

notes:

vacation, per

draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-05.txt

  imapflags - I-D still valid, but IANA section is missing.

---

From: Matthew Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:05:33 -0400

Is this a good place to post a sieve script that is failing or would 
that be too implementation-specific?  I'm trying to learn Sieve, coming 
from a Procmail background, and using websieve as a user interface.  I 
have a few scripts which seem to simply not execute, and it seems to be 
related to what WebSieve calls "Continue processing rules".  It is 
running on a Cyrus IMAP server

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew Elvey wrote:

>> Any comments before I email iana%iana.org with the RFC # for 
>> spamtest, and a reservation for "refuse"?
>
>
> Emailed.
>
>>
>>> but they are often at the <multiple implementations exist> stage.  
>>> If you'd like to, e.g. link to 
>>> Hope you guys push Sieve along in the standardization process too, 
>>> or if you're not doing that, make changes to improve it, like the 
>>> one I suggest in my I-D for the 'refuse' extension.
>>
>>
> No comment?
>
> notes:
>
> vacation, per
>

---

From: Matthew Elvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:30:30 -0700

On 5/10/2004 6:05 AM, Matthew Carpenter sent forth electrons to convey:

> Is this a good place to post a sieve script 

Not really.
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/SieveExamples has some info, 
including a link to a page I set up.
Also your posting etiquette is poor - what does this have to do with 
"Re: Sieve Extension I-Ds(not)  becoming RFCs and IANA assignments (e.g. 
refuse, and older ones, like vacation(!), regex, imapflags." ... ?  
http://www.albany.edu/its/accounts_email/websieve/ or 
http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/ could be useful, but a mailing list 
specifically for sieve end-users is lacking. 

> that is failing or would that be too implementation-specific?  I'm 
> trying to learn Sieve, coming from a Procmail background, and using 
> websieve as a user interface.  I have a few scripts which seem to 
> simply not execute, and it seems to be related to what WebSieve calls 
> "Continue processing rules".  It is running on a Cyrus IMAP server
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
<unrelated post snipped>