Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sieve-variables-00.txt

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:03:21 +0100

On tir, 2004-11-30 at 14:14 +0000, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Few comments/questions after reviewing the document:
> 
> 1). Is the first parameter of the STRING test (list of variable names) 
> has to be "expanded"?

yes, it's a list of strings, not a list of variable names.

  test "a" "a"

this doesn't reference any variables, and is always true.

you can exploit this when using a variable as a set, ie. as an
enumeration of properties, "blue important filed".

  test :matches " ${var} " "* filed *"

the added spaces means "filed" will be found even if the property is the
last to be listed.

I'll add an example or two to the draft.

> 2). ABNF (or RFC 3028 "Syntax:" line) for MODIFIER is missing.

good catch.

> Also, I have an editorial suggestion. Section 5. ("Action set") doesn't 
> mention modifiers at all, instead there is a subsection 5.1 for them

(hmm, section 0 seems to have been renumbered to 1 in this draft, I'll
revert that.)

> I would suggest to add the following sentence to section 5:
> 
>    Modifiers are applied on a value before it is stored in the variable.
>    Modifier names are case insensitive. For more information see section 5.1
> 
> And drop the first 2 sentences at the top of 5.1.

I'll give it a go :-)

--