Subject: draft-ietf-sieve-mime-loop: Multiple Enclose actions on the same bodypart

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:28:58 +0100

Folks,
While reviewing the mailing list archive I've stumbled across an old 
message from Nigel Swinson which I don't think received adequate 
considerations. Nigel wrote in August 2007:

>6.  Action Enclose
 [...]

>The text implies that enclose happens immediately, and therefore subsequent
>actions affecting the message header/content apply to the enclosing message,
>but then it goes on to say if there are multiple enclose actions, then it's
>only the last one that will win.  This means if I have an enclose action,
>I'll have to remember that the outer body part is the new "enclosing" body
>part, and should I get another enclose action then I should "replace" that
>enclosing body part rather than enclose the message yet again such that it
>has two layers of enclosing.
>
>This sounds like a real hassle to implement for questionable utility, I'd
>rather two enclose actions just add two layers of enclosing mime structure
>and body text body parts be present.  Just like they would if the message
>goes through two separate Sieve scripts, both of which add an enclose.
>  
>
Speaking as an implementor I would like to second this. Do we need this 
extra complexity? If an implementation doesn't want to enclose a 
bodypart twice, it can either use Sieve variables, or construct a 
different Sieve script.

>Either that or define that the enclose action should happen at the end of
>the script and therefore doesn't affect the mime structure during the
>existing processing (that might even be inside a for_every_part construct).
>  
>
>I'd actually suggest we leave it to the implementation like we do for
>fileinto.  The implementation can choose to have the enclose happen
>immediately, or at the end.
>  
>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:55:12 -0400

Any suggested modifications to the text?

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]