Subject: [sieve] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Extension: Externally Stored Lists
	Author(s)       : A. Melnikov, B. Leiba
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2010-10-22

The Sieve scripting language can be used to implement whitelisting,
blacklisting, personal distribution lists, and other sorts of list
matching.  Currently, this requires that all members of such lists be
hardcoded in the script itself.  Whenever a member of a list is added
or deleted, the script needs to be updated and possibly uploaded to a
mail server.

This document defines a Sieve extension for accessing externally
stored lists -- lists whose members are stored externally to the
script, such as using LDAP (RFC 4510), ACAP (RFC 2244), or relational
databases.

ToDo

o  Do we need support for URI schemes in ihave?  From IETF 77

minutes: "Can use ihave to test if a URI is valid, both that the

scheme is supported and that the URI can be retrieved/queried."

o  Do we need to say anything about comparators?  We can be silent

(as now), we can say that comparators MAY be ignored as a list-

specific thing, or we can say that comparators MUST NOT be used.

o  Should we add a mandatory-to-implement tag?  Ned suggests (and I

agree) that it might be good to add a registry of well-defined

strings that can be used instead of URIs, and define the initial

string "pab" to represent the user's personal address book.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.