Subject: [sieve] Protocol Action: 'Sieve Extension for Converting Messages Before Delivery' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sieve-convert-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:17:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sieve Extension for Converting Messages Before Delivery'
  (draft-ietf-sieve-convert-06.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sieve-convert/

Technical Summary

   This document describes how IMAP CONVERT can be used within Sieve to
   transform messages before final delivery.

Working Group Summary

    This extension started as an individual submission in 2008 and was
    adopted as a WG document in 2010. The basic premise has remained the
    same throughout all revisions of the document.
	
    This extension adds a new combined action and test to SIEVE to allow
    message parts to be converted to other types during delivery. One new
    behavior here is that this extension creates a new combined test and
    action. This is something new for SIEVE (though allowed by the base
    spec), and implementors were explicitly asked to comment on whether this
    approach was viable - with a positive response. The document has not
    received any reviews from non-WG members. However, many of the existing
    WG members had participated in the Lemonade WG IMAP CONVERT work, on
    which the SIEVE convert extension is heavily based, so from that
    standpoint we do have review from existing IMAP implementors.

Document Quality

    There are no known implementations of this extension at present. Various
    vendors have expressed interest in implementing this extension, however
    it is not currently a top priority for any of them.

Personnel

    Document Shepherd: Cyrus Daboo <mailto:[email-masked]>
    AD: Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>