Subject: [Sigtran] Virus alert...

From: Andreas Jungmaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:53:40 +0200

Dear members of these lists,

for quite a while  now I have been receiving emails with 
faked sender addresses, with the addresses naming (probably) subscribers
of these lists. 
These emails contain a (Windows) macro virus, an apparently empty
attachment, and some apparently private files (I got a number of
C source code files, which I probably shouldn't have got :-)

All of these mails seem to originate from a mail server at 
smtp.huawei.com with an IP address of 61.144.161.21

I have notified ABUSE, and some of the people whose name have been 
mis-used.

Should you have got such a mail containing MY name, please disregard
it, UNLESS it has the proper GnuPG signature - key available from my 
homepage.

I apalogize for having taken your time, but the issue seemed 
worthwhile to prevent this.

Regards,

Andreas Jungmaier

- -- 
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Jungmaier              |                         _
Computer Networking Technology Group      | ASCII ribbon campaign  ( )
University of Essen                       |  - against HTML email   X
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung   |              & vcards  / \

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:48:18 -0600

Andreas,

This sounds like the virus that I've encountered recently: w32.klez.h@mm or
one of the other w32.klez varients. The virus uses email addresses that it
finds on the infected system as the to and the from. If so, the IP address
of the source probably identifies an infected system. It also sends emails
that look like they are a bounce from the postmaster within your domain. 
See:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/[email-masked]
l

for the details. The date on the virus definition there is April 17, 20002.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Jungmaier [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 2:54 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Tsvwg] Virus alert...

Regards,

Andreas Jungmaier

- -- 

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg