Subject: [Sigtran] (no subject)

From: "Gupta, Purbasha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:36:48 -0400

Hi,

Can somebody tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a SIGTRAN
architecture (User adaptation layers over SCTP) compared with an architecture
using RUDP, Session Manager and Signaling backhaul protocol for transporting
SS7 Signaling over IP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Purbasha

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:56:49 -0500

Purbasha,

When you speak of RUDP I think that you are talking abaut a
Cisco's implementation of the 1990's proposed RDM protocol (RFC
1151, RFC 908) that was discussed in Feb of 1999 in
draft-ietf-sigtran-reliable-udp-00.txt.  What makes me think
this is that you also mention "Session Manager" and "Signalling
Backhaul Protocol".  Is this correct?

If so, I don't think that you need to be told the advantages of
a standard vs. a more or less proprietary protocol.

SCTP and the SIGTRAN Architecture was developed by this working
group starting with drafts such as those that were put forth
back in 1998 and 1999.  SCTP is widely successful and has a
large number of implementations.  SIGTRAN UA protocols, of which
the majority have moved to RFC, are also widely deployed (if you
believe the glossy sheets).  SCTP has gone through extensive
interoperability testing and the UAs have already gone through
several rounds of interoperability.

Many of those that developed RUDP contributed strongly to the
development of SCTP.  The UAs have also received heavy
contributions from those that worked on RUDP.  (I think if you
check you will see that Ken Morneault, the editor of several of
the UA documents also worked on RUDP.)

For your specific needs, I suppose it just depends upon whether
you are looking to the past or looking to the future.

You might be best to look at RFC 2719, "Framework Architecture
for Signalling Transport" which provides the WG directions for
these architecture that was developed over 3 years ago now.

--brian

Gupta, Purbasha wrote:                                     (Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:36:48)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/