Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA : DATA message for INACTIVE AS

From: "Vats, Umesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:45:41 -0700

Hi

I had few queries :
1. Should ASP send  ERROR message to SGP if it receives DATA from the SGP
    for an INACTIVE AS(ASP Active procedures not performed) ?
My View : ASP should ERROR message "Protocol Error".

2. Should SG send ERROR message to ASP if it receives DATA from ASP for an
    INACTIVE AS ?
My View : SGP should send ERROR message "Protocol Error".

Umesh

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:13:16 -0500

Umesh,

Vats, Umesh wrote:                                          (Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:45:41)
> My View : ASP should ERROR message "Protocol Error".

There is no point in sending error messages.  Because ASP INACTIVE and ASP
INACTIVE ACK can  be sent on stream 0', they may overtake DATA messages on
their way to the ASP from the SG.  Unless special heartbeat procedures are
used, there is no way to ensure that any DATA messages received even a long
time after ASP Inactive Ack was received are in error.  If DATA messages are
received for an otherwise fully Inactive AS, the proper response IMO would
be ASP Inactive, not necessarily Error.

The disposition of these messages are at the AS (User's) discretion.  When
deactivating, the dispsition of these messages could be specified by the
user (i.e., what to do with receive buffer on close: flush, deliver, keep
it around for later).  i don't think any of these include sending an error.

> My View : SGP should send ERROR message "Protocol Error".

Again, for a fully Inactive ASP, the SGP should send ASP Inactive Ack to
force the ASP to the inactive state.  I would send this once only (not
once for each DATA message).  It is clearly covered int the RFC that the
SGP can choose to route these messages or discard them.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/