Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M2PA Comment: Multi-homing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:00:53 +0100

Brian/Tolga,

You'll mentioned that "MTP3 will reroute faster than SCTP can retransmit" and
"MTP3 changes over faster than SCTP can retransmit".

Let say that we have no path failures, NIC failures, etc., but one SCTP packet
was unfortunate enough to be lost or corrupted in the IP network. Would this
result in a changeover because SCTP is too slow?

If SCTP's retransmissions are too slow is it appropriate to keep the following
text in the draft "Note that since SCTP provides reliable delivery and ordered
delivery
within the stream, M2PA does not need to perform retransmissions"?

Amish.

"Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]> on 19/06/2002 19:12:38

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   Amish CHANA/EN/HTLUK@HTLUK
cc:   [email-masked]

Subject:  Re: [Sigtran] M2PA Comment: Multi-homing

Amish,

MTP3 will reroute messsages as well: as fast or, in the case of
retransmission, faster.

--brian

> MTP3 changes over faster than SCTP can retransmit.
>
> --brian
>
> > For the problem you mentioned, I would think that 2 non-multihomed SCTP
> > associations instead of 1 multihomed one will work better. Even if one has
> > Rto.Min less than 1 sec, in my opinion 2 association approach is better,
> > because you can use both of them for data transfer, whereas with
> > multihoming, for one path only heartbeat messages will be sent.
> >
> >     Tolga

*******************************************************************************
Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named person and
may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this
communication are not necessarily those of the company. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered in England No
2178917, with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park,
Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.
*******************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:46:07 -0400

Amish,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 5:01 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
[TOLGA] Sorry, but I didn't say this. What I said was, for detecting host
failures, using two non-multihomed associations will most probably
outperform a single multihomed association . But it won't come for free, for
non-host failures (where there is still a healthy path) MTP3 involvement
will be needed. Two non-multihomed associations will also have the
advantage, not to transmit heartbeat messages, but I wouldn't consider this
as a major advantage, assuming that heartbeats won't be sent very frequent.