Subject: RE: [Sigtran] Call for Lyndon

From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:25:17 -0700

Hi Folks,

Since you asked...

It seems to me that we are talking about two different models here.

We started with the idea that an application in an SS7 network (SEP)
talks to an application in an IP network (ISEP) via the signaling gateway, 
in an asymmetrical relationship.

We also had the model of SG to SG, although in RFC 2719 we originally
thought that this would be down at the MTP2 level as in figure 11.

Once the asymmetrical model was worked out, the question came up as
to how to do transport between ISEPs (or IPSPs) in a more symmetrical
relationship.  We did some work on this in M3UA, but apparently were
not able to work through all the issues.

My inclination would be to do two tasks:
-- work out any remaining issues with M3UA's IPSP-IPSP procedure to
the extent that this allows people to interoperate, and document this
in the implementor's guide
-- pursue the SG-SG model, preferably without having to make major
changes to M3UA to support this.  I have the sense that this model
may be able to support a different set of applications than just 
IPSP-IPSP.

The second task may involve getting our A-Ds to agree to a charter 
addition, hopefully not too bad since it would reuse the existing 
protocol.

Now of course you folks have done much more thinking about this than
me, so you are likely to have different views - please comment away!

Cheers,

Lyndon

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran