Subject: [Sigtran] sctp-sig-prot

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:29:11 -0400

Hi John L.,

I have some initial questions/comments about the new sctp-sig-prot draft, to
be able to better understand its scope:

1-"Current work in the SIGTRAN Working Group [2719] defines architecture
   for backhauling SS7 Signalling Protocols over IP.  However, no
   consideration is given for signaling that is completely terminated in
   IP networks (sometimes called 'all-IP' or 'full-IP' signaling)."
Personally I wouldn't agree that no consideration is given in the WG for
"all-IP" signalling.

2- "The SCTP Handler allows a much lighter protocol stack, optimized for
   the transport of typical application part protocols (ex: RANAP,
   RNSAP, BSSAP) over IP. Optimization is possible by removing the not
   needed and the redundant functionality provided by the signaling
   protocol stacks."
Which functionality of the signalling stacks should be considered as
redundant? For example from a SCCP user point of view, which functionalities
in SUA and SCTP are overlapping?

3- "SS7 protocols have a different addressing model than IP.  Some layers
   are hop-by-hop and do not assume global addressing.  It may be
   reasonable to assume that SS7 addressing will not disappear; however
   overlaying non-global addressing on top of IP is not a reasonable
   long-term assumption. In practice, it may be useful to consider SS7
   addresses as labels, rather than point codes when signaling in an IP
   network."
Are we already not interpreting PC+NA as the label of a logical entity,
whose physical address is one or more IP address+SCTP port?

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran