Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA signaling models

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:45:10 +0200

Hello dear all,

 I am just looking at the SIGTRAN mailing list from time to time, therefore
I am not up to date with all the debate concerning the M3UA protocol.
I remember that a new SG-SG communication has been proposed and was
supported by T.Asveren and B.Bidulock but not by other people in the list.
This proposal seems very interesting but I could not find in the archive if
an agreement was reached on the SG-SG communication. The SG-SG
communication is not part of the latest M3UA draft, so my question is about
the status of this model in the WG.

which ones of the following models are now authorized ?

1) AS-SG-SEP
2) AS-AS (using IPSP-IPSP communication)
3) AS-SG-AS
4) AS-SG-SG-AS
5) SEP-SG-SG-SEP

If SG-SG communication is still supported, will it be integrated in a new
M3UA draft or in the RFC ?

Thanks

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:57:57 -0600

Loic,

SG-SG communcation is supported in the existing M3UA draft using SS7
or implementation-dependent SG-SG communication to communicate between SGs.
The SG-SG draft was an attempt to standardize the communication between
SGs in the IP domain.

Some 12-14 people worked on SG-SG communication, and was not just supported
by Tolga and myself.  In fact, fewer people disagreed with it than formed
the draft in the first place.

Through utter lack of interest and participation, nothing much has been done
on M3UA at all recently.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                                                (Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:45:10)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:21:21 -0400

I am working for version 01 of SG-SG document, nothing conceptually new,
just more examples and changes which are discussed and agreed in the list.
BTW, I am not too pessimistic about its destiny, given the fact that on
SIGTRAN page , there is an item "FEB 03    Submit implementation guidelines
and other extensions based on testing to IESG for consideration as Proposed
Standard" and once Lyndon wrote:
"My inclination would be to do two tasks:
-- work out any remaining issues with M3UA's IPSP-IPSP procedure to
the extent that this allows people to interoperate, and document this
in the implementor's guide
-- pursue the SG-SG model, preferably without having to make major
changes to M3UA to support this.  I have the sense that this model
may be able to support a different set of applications than just
IPSP-IPSP.

The second task may involve getting our A-Ds to agree to a charter
addition, hopefully not too bad since it would reuse the existing
protocol."

So, maybe now it is a more suitable time than before to discuss about SG-SG
(considering that M3UA IG is almost complete (?) )

  Tolga

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Brian F. G. Bidulock
> Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 11:58 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M3UA signaling models
>
>
> Loic,
>