Subject: RE: [Sigtran] SUA: Filler in Global Title Address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:56:35 +0300

Hi Vince,
 
One question I have on your text is this:

   "Global Title: 
  
    Octets contain a number of address signals and possibly filler as 
    shown: 
  
      0                   1                   2                   3 
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
     |2 addr.|1 addr.|4 addr.|3 addr.|6 addr.|5 addr.|8 addr.|7 addr.| 
     |  sig. | sig.  |  sig. | sig.  |  sig. | sig.  |  sig. | sig.  | 
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
     |    .......    |filler |N addr.|   filler      | 
     |               |if req | sig.  |               | 
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
  
   All filler bits SHOULD be set to 0 and MUST be included in the 
   sub-parameter length. An arbitrary number of filler octets MAY be 
   present after the last address signal." 
 
> The diagram change indicates that filler does not necessarily extend the sub-parameter to a 4 byte boundary. This addresses the  
> confusion that caused our interoperability problem. The additional text serves the same purpose.  
 
Is any text needed about what to do with any left-over bits upto the 4 byte boundry?
 
John

---

From: Vince Deters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:40:52 -0400

Hi John,

[email-masked] wrote:

>  Hi Vince,One question I have on your text is this:   "Global Title:
>
> > The diagram change indicates that filler does not necessarily extend
> the sub-parameter to a 4 byte boundary. This addresses the > confusion
> that caused our interoperability problem. The additional text serves
> the same purpose.  Is any text needed about what to do with any
> left-over bits upto the 4 byte boundry?
>
> Well we considered that, but decided that clearing up the description
> of filler should be sufficient. Once you know the number and position
> of filler bits, it's also clear how many padding bytes there will be,
> and padding works as it does for any other parameter.
>
> Vince
>
>  John