Subject: [Sigtran] ASP ID's in Notify Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:33:53 -0400

I'm a little confused by the excerpt taken from RFC3332 below.  It seems to
me that the statement is implying that the ASP ID is only sent when there
is an ASP Failure, yet the main point of the statement is to send a notify
message for any state change.   A state change does not necessarily imply
that the ASP failed?

4.3.4.5 Notify Procedures

   A Notify message reflecting a change in the AS state MUST be sent to
   all ASPs in the AS, except those in the ASP-DOWN state, with
   appropriate Status Information and any ASP Identifier of the failed
   ASP.

Shouldn't the ASP ID be transmitted in all Notification messages?

4.3.4.5 Notify Procedures
   A Notify message reflecting a change in the AS state MUST be sent to
   all ASPs in the AS, except those in the ASP-DOWN state, with
   appropriate Status Information and any ASP Identifier of the affected
   ASP.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Tolga Asveren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:51:16 -0400

Sherry,

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 2:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sigtran] ASP ID's in Notify Messages

I'm a little confused by the excerpt taken from RFC3332 below.  It seems to
me that the statement is implying that the ASP ID is only sent when there
is an ASP Failure, yet the main point of the statement is to send a notify
message for any state change.   A state change does not necessarily imply
that the ASP failed?
[TOLGA] No. For example when the state changes from INACTIVE to ACTIVE,
there won't be any failed ASP. Also there are cases, where NTFY is sent,
without any AS state change. For example for NTFY("Insufficient ASP
Resources Active in AS"), AspId does not make sense to me.