Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA IG: Response to an ASPIA msg

From: "Srivats P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:21:41 +0500

Hi,

The "Response to an ASPIA message" issue in the M3UA IG
states that -

<quote>
    ---------
    New text: (Section 4.5.3)
    ---------

    When an ASP wishes to withdraw from receiving traffic within an AS,or
    the ASP wants to initiate the process of activation, the ASP sends an
    ASP Inactive message to the SGP or IPSP.

    An ASP Inactive message MUST be always responded by the peer
    (although other messages may be sent in the middle):
       - If the corresponding RK is registered (statically or
          dynamically), the peer should respond with an ASP Inactive Ack
          message.
       -           If the RK is not registered, or the RC information is not valid,
          the peer must respond with an ERROR message with Error Code =
          "Invalid Routing Context".
       - If the RC is missing and its specification is needed according
          to the used configuration, the peer must respond with an ERROR
          message with Error Code = "No Configured AS for ASP".
</quote>

I couldn't quite understand what is meant by "If the RC is missing and its
specification is needed according to the used configuration" - does it mean
that the missing RC indicates "all AS served by ASP" and if there is no
such AS for the said ASP, it sends ERROR("No configured AS for ASP") ?

Regards,
Srivats P.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 06:09:55 -0700

Srivats,

Srivats P. wrote:                                                                  (Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:21:41)
> such AS for the said ASP, it sends ERROR("No configured AS for ASP") ?

RC is optional when an assocation serves a single AS.  If RC is missing and
there is no single AS that the association serves, then it is missing in
error.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Samuel Dur D. Jeyaseelan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:49:06 -0600 (CST)

Brian,

So RC is mantatory in ASPIA when ASP1 serves more than one AS over a
single association. If it is not a mantatory field then one always
will receive Error Code = "No Configured AS for ASP"(if he has not
understood the below sentence properly

 3.10.2 (IG)

--Samuel

  Alcatel USA, Inc.                  Internet: <userid>@ssd.usa.alcatel.com
  1000 Coit Road, Plano, Texas 75075
  ******* The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc. *******

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:06:29 -0700

Samuel,

See my comments on the IG for this section: it is redundant in places,
wrong in places, and more confusing that it is worth.  I proposed that
Section 3.10 be struck.

--brian

Samuel Dur D. Jeyaseelan wrote:                                                     (Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:49:06)