Subject: [Sigtran] Round-Robin Loadsharing

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:32:51 -0700

All,

This use of the example of "round robin" is misleading.  Except for
completely unordered traffic flows (e.g.  simple query/response TCAP
transactions only, or extremely low traffic volumes), any round robin
based load sharing over available ASPs is guaranteed to result in
mis-sequencing at the AS.

Please include in the IG's for these documents the removal of the
reference to round robin as follows:

RFC 3331, Section 4.3.4.3, OLD TEXT:

           ... The algorithm could, for example be round-robin or based
   on information in the Data message (e.g., such as the SLS in the
   Routing Label).

RFC 3331, Section 4.3.4.3, NEW TEXT:

           ... The algorithm could, for example be based on information
   in the Data message (e.g., such as the SLS in the Routing Label).

RFC 3331, Section 4.1.1, OLD TEXT:

                                                          ... The
   selection algorithm is implementation dependent but could, for
   example, be round robin or based on the SLS or ISUP CIC.

RFC 3331, Section 4.1.1, NEW TEXT:

                                                          ... The
   selection algorithm is implementation dependent but could, for
   example, be based on the SLS or ISUP CIC.

RFC 3331, Section 4.3.4.3, OLD TEXT:

                          ... The algorithm could, for example, be
   round-robin or based on information in the Data message (e.g., the
   SLS, SCCP SSN, ISUP CIC value).

RFC 3331, Section 4.3.4.3, NEW TEXT:

                          ... The algorithm could, for example, be
   based on information in the Data message (e.g., the SLS, SCCP SSN,
   ISUP CIC value).

SUA-14,  Section 4.1.1, OLD TEXT:

                                                         ...  The 
   selection algorithm is implementation dependent but could, for 
   example, be round robin or based on the SLS.

SUA-14,  Section 4.1.1, NEW TEXT:

                                                         ...  The 
   selection algorithm is implementation dependent but could, for 
   example, be based on the SLS.

SUA-14 Section 4.3.4.3, OLD TEXT:

                         ...  The algorithm could, for example, be round
   robin or based on information in the Data message (e.g., the SLS or 
   SSN).   

SUA-14 Section 4.3.4.3, NEW TEXT:

                         ...  The algorithm could, for example, be
   based on information in the Data message (e.g., the SLS or SSN).   

SUA-14 Section A.3.1, OLD TEXT:

   The selection criterion can be based on a round robin mechanism, or 
   any other method that guarantees a balanced load sharing over the 
   active ASPs.

SUA-14 Section A.3.1, OLD TEXT:

   The selection criterion can be based on any method that guarantees
   a balanced load sharing, without mis-sequencing, over the active ASPs

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran