Subject: [Sigtran] m2pa comment: author list

From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:38:01 -0800

Folks,

One comment - the author's list is too long and will get it killed in IESG.
Suggest we drop at least 2 names, probably Mallesh Kalla and one or
two others (volunteers?).

Also, references need to be sorted into Normative and Non-normative,
in separate sections.

The security section probably needs to be updated based on the
security framework document (which should come out this week).

Cheers,

L. Ong
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Greg Sidebottom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:35:29 -0500

Hi Lyndon,

  I'll volunteer  2;^)

Cheers,

    Greg

---

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:21:18 -0600

"Ong, Lyndon" wrote:
  [...] 
> Also, references need to be sorted into Normative and Non-normative,
  [...]

Brian had already done this work for me, but I did not put it into
version 7.

Here is what the updated section 9 will look like.

=============================================================
9.  References 

9.1 Normative

  [JT-Q704]
       TTC, "Message Transfer Part Signalling Network Functions," TTC
       Standard JT-Q704, Telecommunication Technology Committee (TTC)
       (April 28, 1992).

  [Q.703]
       ITU, "Signalling System No. 7 - Signalling Link," ITU-T
       Recommendation Q.703, ITU-T Telecommunication Standardization
       Sector of ITU (March 1993).

  [Q.704]
       ITU, "Message Transfer Part - Signalling Network Functions and
       Messages," ITU-T Recommendation Q.704, ITU-T Telecommunication
       Standardization Sector of ITU (March 1993).

  [Q.2140]
       ITU, "B-ISDN ATM Adaptation Layer - Service Specific
       Coordination Function for Signalling at the Network Node
       Interface (SSCF at NNI)," ITU-T Recommendation Q.2140, ITU-T
       Telecommunication Standardization Sector of ITU (February
       1996).

  [Q.2210]
       ITU, "Message Transfer Part Level 3 Functions and Messages
       Using the Services of ITU-T Recommendation Q.2140," ITU-T
       Recommendation Q.2210, ITU-T Telecommunication Standardization
       Sector of ITU (July 1996).

  [RFC791]
       Information Sciences Institute, "Internet Protocol - DARPA
       Internet Program - Protocol Specification," RFC 791, The
       Internet Society (September 1981).

  [RFC2119]
       S. Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement
       Levels," BCP 14, RFC 2119, Internet Engineering Task Force
       (March 1997). 

  [RFC2196]
       B. Y. Frazer, "Site Security Handbook," RFC 2196, Internet
       Engineering Task Force (September 1997). 

  [RFC2401]
       S. Kent, R. Atkinson, "Security Architecture for the Internet
       Protocol," RFC 2401, Internet Engineering Task Force (November
       1998). 

  [RFC2434]
       T. Narten, H. T. Alvestrand, "Guidelines for Writing an IANA
       Considerations Section in RFCs," BCP 26, RFC 2434, The Internet
       Society (October, 1998).

  [RFC2960]
       R. Stewart, et. al., "Stream Control Transmission Protocol
       (SCTP)," RFC 2960, The Internet Society (February 2000).

  [T1.111]
       ANSI, "American National Standard for Telecommunications -
       Signaling System Number 7 (SS7) - Message Transfer Part (MTP),"
       ANSI T1.111-2000, American National Standards Institute (2000).

9.2 Informative

  [M2UA]
       K. Morneault, et. al., "Signaling System 7 (SS7) Message
       Transfer Part 2 (MTP2) - User Adaptation Layer," RFC 3331,
       Internet Engineering Task Force - Signalling Transport Working
       Group (September, 2002).

  [Q.700]
       ITU, "Introduction to CCITT Signalling System No. 7," ITU-T
       Recommendation Q.700, ITU-T Telecommunication Standardization
       Sector of ITU (March 1993).

  [Q.701]
       ITU, "Functional Description of the Message Transfer Part (MTP)
       of Signalling System No. 7," ITU-T Recommendation Q.701, ITU-T
       Telecommunication Standardization Sector of ITU (March 1993).

  [Q.702]
       ITU, "Signalling Data Link," ITU-T Recommendation Q.702, ITU-T
       Telecommunication Standardization Sector of ITU (March 1993).

  [Q.705]
       ITU, "Signalling System No. 7 - Signalling Network Structure,"
       ITU-T Recommendation Q.705, ITU-T Telecommunication
       Standardization Sector of ITU (March 1993).

  [RFC2719]
       L. Ong, et. al., "Framework Architecture for Signaling
       Transport," RFC 2719, The Internet Society (October 1999).
=============================================================

-- 
* Tom George       PB7-24001 (near B-21)      [email-masked]  *
* 972-519-3168   Intranet:  http://www.ssd.usa.alcatel.com/~tgeorge/  *
* Alcatel USA, Inc.; 1000 Coit Rd, MS PB7-SWPRO; Plano TX 75075-5813  *
* I actively disclaim speaking for Alcatel USA, Inc. I do not purport *
* to advertise or represent its position,  operations, or activities. *
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:44:05 +0100

Hi Tim,
Shouldn't you also have a reference to RFC 3309 as a normative
reference. And what about draft-ietf-sigtran-security-0?.txt?

Best regards
Michael

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:27:27 -0700

Michael,

Sure:

--- tmp.txt	Tue Jan 28 15:24:11 2003
+++ draft-ietf-sigtran-m2pa-07.txt	Tue Jan 28 15:24:28 2003
@@ -923,7 +923,8 @@
 
 It is RECOMMENDED that the filler field contain a number pattern which
 varies among the Link Status Proving messages, and that will allow the
-SCTP checksum to be used to verify the accuracy of transmission.
+SCTP checksum [RFC 3309] to be used to verify the accuracy of
+transmission.
 
 3.  M2PA Link State Control
 
@@ -2656,6 +2656,11 @@
 
 Internet-Draft                    M2PA                  January 7, 2003
 
+[RFC 3309]
+   J. Stone, R. Stewart and D. Otis, "Stream Control Transmission
+   Protocol (SCTP) Checksum Change," RFC 3309, The Internet Society
+   (September 2002).
+
 [RFC 2196]
    B. Y. Frazer, "Site Security Handbook," RFC 2196, Internet
    Engineering Task Force (September 1997).
 
--brian

Michael Tuexen wrote:                                                              (Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:44:05)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:07:27 -0600

Michael and Brian,

This looks good to me. Since I mention the checksum in section 2.3.2.1,
it is a good idea to reference RFC 3309.

tomG.

  [...]

---

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:10:20 -0600

Michael,

Lyndon said the security draft is coming out soon. I thought I would
wait until then and see how I need to incorporate it into M2PA. 

tomG.

  [...]