Subject: Re: [Sigtran] IUA - ASP Active and ACTIVE ACK

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:00:04 +0200

Brian,

> >
> > > vother UAs by the IG is to send ASPIA Ack.
> > Where is it defined?
Can you answer the above question?

> > What I see in RFC3331 section 4.3.4.3 is "The SGP MUST send an Error
> > message ("Invalid Interface Identifier") for each Interface Identifier
> > value that cannot be successfully activated".
> > This statement is like section 3.20 of IUA IG.
>
> And why cannot an IID be activated?
>
The answer on this rhetorical question is "misconfiguration". I do not
expect other reasons except SW bug which is never for the protocol
treatment.

Regards,
Lev

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:51:36 -0700

Lev.Finkel,

[email-masked] wrote:                                                   (Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:00:04)
> Can you answer the above question?

IUA IG Verion 2 Section 3.16.2 new text for Section 4.3.3.5, third paragraph.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to start drafting an RFC3057bis.

> expect other reasons except SW bug which is never for the protocol

That is the answer for IUA, however, you have referenced RFC3331 section
4.3.4.3 which is M2UA.

Section 3.3.3.1 of RFC3057 says:

  The "Invalid Interface Identifier" error would be sent by an SG if an
  ASP sends a messages with an invalid (unconfigured) Interface
  Identifier value.

And is again repeated in secion 3.19.2 of the IUA IG Version 2.

Which is quite clear.

Strangely, RFC3331 says in section 3.3.1:

   The "Invalid Interface Identifier" error would be sent by a SGP if an
   ASP sends a message (i.e. an ASP Active message) with an invalid (not
   configured) Interface Identifier value.  One of the optional
   Interface Identifier parameters (Integer-based, text-based or integer
   range) MUST be used with this error code to identify the invalid
   Interface Identifier(s) received.

Which again says "not configured."

Now, although RFC3331 (M2UA) says:

                                          ...  The SGP MUST send an
   Error message ("Invalid Interface Identifier") for each Interface
   Identifier value that cannot be successfully activated.

This text is not in RFC3057 or the IUA-IG and cannot be considered applicable
to IUA.

For M2UA, failure to activate might not only be caused by misconfiguration.
(e.g. failure of switching elements at the SG for automatic allocation of
signalling terminals or signalling data links or both, no reminaing signalling
terminals, etc...).

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/