Subject: [Sigtran] M2PA: LS Alignment after proving

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:39:45 -0600

Right now I have in section 4.1.3:

   Anomalous messages received during alignment SHOULD be
   discarded. Examples include:

      (a) User Data received before proving begins.

      (b) Link Status Alignment received before or during proving.

Jeff Craig (11/04/02 subject "[Sigtran] M2PA Plugtest Comments - Day 1")
asked if LS Alignment received during ALIGNED READY should cause a
transition to OOS. 

I think it will work either way (discarding it or going to OOS). 

If the other end is trying to restart alignment, it should have sent LS
OOS first. Maybe the LS OOS got delayed. If so, the other end's (newly
renamed) T2 will expire and it will send another LS OOS. 

OTOH, it could be argued that receipt of LS Alignment during ALIGNED
READY shows that the ends are out of step and it would be best just to
go to OOS and start over. 

I am inclined toward going to OOS. Opinions?

tomG.

-- 
* Tom George       PB7-24001 (near B-21)      [email-masked]  *
* 972-519-3168   Intranet:  http://www.ssd.usa.alcatel.com/~tgeorge/  *
* Alcatel USA, Inc.; 1000 Coit Rd, MS PB7-SWPRO; Plano TX 75075-5813  *
* I actively disclaim speaking for Alcatel USA, Inc. I do not purport *
* to advertise or represent its position,  operations, or activities. *
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:50:31 -0700

Tom,

Q.703 ignores SIO during proving, however, SIO puts the link out of
service in Aligned Ready state.  Also, SIO puts the link out of service
in In Service state.  IMO stick with the Q.703 behavior and say that
"Alignment" causes OOS in either the "Aligned Ready" or "In Service"
states.  (It also should put the link out of service in the "Aligned
Not Ready" state, per Q.703).

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran