Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M2PA: Revised section 5-5.1

From: "Subhashini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:05:28 -0600

Please ignore my previous mail. On getting LS Alignment from peer, m2pa
state is changed to Proving and LS proving is sent to peer. This is not
mentioned anywhere in the draft. Sections 4.1.3 and 5.1 need to be updated
for this.

thanks,
Subhashini ...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Subhashini" <[email-masked]>
To: "Tom George" <[email-masked]>; "SIGTRAN e-mail list"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M2PA: Revised section 5-5.1

> After entering into "Proving" state on getting LS Alignment, timers T3 and
> T4 are started. Timer T3 is stopped only on getting LS proving from other
> end.
> But, as per the procedure, both the ends will be waiting for LS proving
from
> its peer. I do not understand, when to send LS proving to other end.
>
> The fig in section 5.1 shows only the reception of LS Proving. The LS
> proving is sent only after stopping timer T3, but timer T3 is stopped only
> on getting LS proving.
>
> Please clarify.
>
> thanks,
> Subhashini ...
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tom George" <[email-masked]>
> To: "SIGTRAN e-mail list" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 9:18 PM
> Subject: [Sigtran] M2PA: Revised section 5-5.1
>
>
> > (I made some changes here, too.)
> >
> > 5.  Examples of M2PA Procedures
> >
> > In general, messages passed between MTP3 and M2PA are the same as
> > those passed between MTP3 and MTP2.  M2PA interprets messages from
> > MTP3 and sends the appropriate message to SCTP. Likewise, messages
> > from SCTP are used to generate a meaningful message to MTP3.
> >
> > Note that throughout this section, the primitives between MTP3 and
> > M2PA are named using the MTP terminology [Q.700] [Q.701] [Q.702]
> > [Q.703] [Q.704] [Q.705]. Communications between M2PA and SCTP are
> > named using SCTP terminology.
> >
> >
> > 5.1  Link Initialization (Alignment)
> >
> > An example of the message flow to bring an SS7 link in service is
> > shown in Figures 12 and 13. Alignment is done by both ends of the
> > link. To simplify the diagram, alignment is shown on one end
> > only. Some messages from the remote end are not shown. It is assumed
> > in this example that SCTP has been initialized.
> >
> >
> >     MTP3        M2PA        SCTP        SCTP        M2PA        MTP3
> >     ----        ----        ----        ----        ----        ----
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Associate   .           .           .           .
> >      .           ------------>           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           (SCTP Association       .           .
> >      .           .            procedure)             .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Communication Up        Communication Up        .
> >      .           <------------           ------------>           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Link Status Out of Service          .           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      Emergency OR            .           .           .           .
> >      Emergency Ceases        .           .           .           .
> >      ------------>           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      Start       .           .           .           .           .
> >      ------------>           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Link Status Alignment   .           .           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Start timer T2          .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .   Link Status Alignment           .
> >      .           <------------------------------------           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Stop timer T2           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >
> >      Proving period begins.
> >
> >        Figure 12.  Example: Link Initialization - Alignment
> >
> >
> >     MTP3        M2PA        SCTP        SCTP        M2PA        MTP3
> >     ----        ----        ----        ----        ----        ----
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Start timers T3, T4     .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .     Link Status Proving           .
> >      .           <------------------------------------           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Stop timer T3           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Link Status Proving     .           .           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Timer T4 expires        .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >
> >      Send Link Status Ready (one or more) and wait for the remote end
> >      to complete its proving period.
> >
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Start timer T1          .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Link Status Ready       .           .           .
> >      .           ------------------------------------>           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .       Link Status Ready           .
> >      .           <------------------------------------           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      .           Stop timer T1           .           .           .
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >      In Service              .           .           In Service
> >      <------------           .           .           ------------>
> >      .           .           .           .           .           .
> >
> >      MTP3 MAY begin sending data messages.
> >
> >             Figure 13.  Example: Link Initialization - Proving
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > * Tom George       PB7-24001 (near B-21)      [email-masked]  *
> > * 972-519-3168   Intranet:  http://www.ssd.usa.alcatel.com/~tgeorge/  *
> > * Alcatel;  3400 West Plano Pkwy,  MS PB7-SWPRO;  Plano, Texas 75075  *
> > * I actively disclaim speaking for Alcatel USA, Inc. I do not purport *
> > * to advertise or represent its position,  operations, or activities. *
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sigtran mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran
> >
>

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Tom George <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:58:25 -0600

> mentioned anywhere in the draft. Sections 4.1.3 and 5.1 need to be updated
  [...]

Subhashini,

I think this is already in the draft. Take a look at this paragraph in
4.1.3:

==========
During the proving period (i.e., after M2PA starts the proving period
timer T4), M2PA sends Link Status Proving messages to its peer at an
interval defined by the protocol parameter Proving_Interval. M2PA
sends either the Proving Normal or Proving Emergency message,
according to the Emergency and Emergency Ceases commands from
MTP3. M2PA uses the value of T4 corresponding to the Normal or
Emergency condition. However, if M2PA receives a Link Status Proving
Emergency message from its peer, then M2PA SHALL initiate the
Emergency proving period value for T4, but it SHALL continue to send
the Proving message (Normal or Emergency) determined by its own upper
layer MTP3.
==========

And this is illustrated at the top of Figure 13:

==========
==========