Subject: Re: [Sigtran] IG-03 Section 3.4 issue

From: "TOLGA ASVEREN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:38:06 +0200

Brian,

TOLGA,

TOLGA ASVEREN wrote:
(Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:58:28)
> Samuel,

>                     "Samuel Dur D.

>                     Jeyaseelan"                To:     [email-masked]

>                     <[email-masked]       cc:

>                     catel.com>                 Subject:     Re: [Sigtran]
IG-03 Section 3.4 issue
>                     Sent by:

>                     [email-masked]

>                     rg

>                     07.03.2003 08:34

>
>
>
>
>
> Tolga,
>
> I can mention 2 cases.
>
> case 1) All NIFs are partially failed,this is very very rare case
>         But still sending ASP Inact Ack seems not to be an inefficient
>            method.Moreover basic aim is ASP should not be sending
messages
>            to SS7 nodes via partially failed SGPs, this is achieved by
>            sending ASP Inact Ack.
> [TOLGA]SGP can still route between ASPs. With ASPIA-ACK you are
preventing
> this, if NIF failure is global.

What makes you think that messages can be routed betwen ASPs (I think you
mean between AS) when the NIF fails?  The NIF is access to MTP3 at the
SGP: MTP3 is responsible for routing between MTP-Users regardless of which
domain they are in.  Failure of the NIF implies failure to route between
AS as well.  Therefore, APSIA Ack is appropriate and DUNA is not.
[TOLGA]Yes, what I meant was routing between AS. I don't think it is
appropriate to mandate where routing between AS is done. This is also
implementation dependent. Even for the case where traffic from SS7 to AS is
routed, M3UA-SGP might perform some routing functionality when AS and SG do
have different PCs. IMO, what you tell is far beyond the boundary of
implementation dependent area.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 02:50:20 -0700

TOLGA,

TOLGA ASVEREN wrote:                                                                 (Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:38:06)
> implementation dependent area.

M3UA has no routing functionality.  If an implementation can route
it is because it is routing through either NIF or MTP3.  As the SGP
can talk to neither, DUNA is inappropriate.  DUNA is reserved for use
by NIF in conjunction with MTP3.  M3UA does not generate DUNAs all on
its own.  Read the sections in the RFC regarding SSNM.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/