Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M3UA IG02: ASPIA-ack changed to DUNA

From: "TOLGA ASVEREN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:45:34 +0200

Anjali,

agurmukhani,

[email-masked] wrote:
(Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:17:50)
>
>
> Brian..
>
> agurmukhani,
>
> [email-masked] wrote:
> (Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:11:57)
> >
> >
> > Hi ,
> >
> >               Yes  even I agree with Brian that DUNA and other SSNM
messages
> are
> > interpreted by the ASP on per SG basis .
> > So sending DUNA is completely inappropriate . ASPIA-ack is good enough
to
> inform
> > ASP about the partial failure .
> > So this should be reverted back to ASPIA-ack.
> >
> > Also I have doubts about mentioning (as is given in change control part
of
> > IG02)that it helps in inter-ASP routing.
> >  I am not able to appreciate why is this required and its significance.
>
> [Anjali] What about this part that inter-ASP routing is facilitated?

I have no idea what that was supposed to mean.  Maybe Ken can shed some
light
on it.
[TOLGA]This refers to the configuration where one SGP routes messages
between two ASPs. In such if isolation from MTP3(NIF) happens in the whole
SG (for example there is only one SGP in SG) it might be desireable to
inform ASPs that they can't reach destinations in SS7 domain (with DUNA for
PCs in SS7 domain) and still continue routing between ASPs.

[Anjali] In the above case Tolga , if it is the single SGP in SG case, then
the connectivity with the SS7 is lost when NIF is isolated, so where has
the
SGP the data to send to the ASP or route to the ASPs it is connected to.
The SGP informs ASPs about it thru ASPIA-ack which does not involve any
interasp-routing.
[TOLGA] The configuration is:

   AS1           AS2
 +-----+       +-----+
 | ASP1|       |ASP2 |
 +--+--+       +--+--+
    |             |
    |   +-----+   |
    +---+ SGP1+---+
        +-----+
SGP1 is routing between AS1 and AS2.

[Anjali] I understand the configuration Tolga.But just tell me  where do
the
ASs above get the data to route to since the NIF is not available and no
connectivity with the MTP3.So I repeat my point

when the connectivity with the SS7 is lost , so where has the
SGP the data to send to the ASP or route to the ASPs it is connected to.
The SGP informs ASPs about it thru ASPIA-ack which does not involve any
interasp-routing.
[TOLGA]Data is transmitted from/to AS1 to/from AS2. So there is no need
that any data is arriving from SS7 domain. Brian's comment is that for that
routing to happen NIF/MTP3 functionality is needed.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 04:01:08 -0700

TOLGA,

TOLGA ASVEREN wrote:                                                                 (Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:45:34)
> [TOLGA] The configuration is:

Yes, because M3UA has no such functionality.

Where in the RFC does it discuss M3UA's ability to route
messages between AS without involving NIF?

I see where it discusses taking events from the NIF (MTP primitives) and
formulating and sending the equivalent M3UA message to the ASP, and where
it discusses receiving M3UA messages from the ASP and formulating requests
to the NIF (MTP primitives), but nowhere is the SGP described as routing
M3UA messages between AS of its own accord.  Nor is the SGP described as
maintaning any routing tables asside from those used to take events from the
NIF and pass them to the ASP.

Therefore, no NIF, no routing between AS.

Besides, DUNA is not appropriate at all.  DUNA represents events which
have occured in the SS7 network (MTP-PAUSE from the NIF).  All SSNM
represent SS7 network events.  M3UA events use ASPTM, ASPSM and MGMT
messages.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/