Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M3UA IG02: ASPIA-ack changed to DUNA

From: "TOLGA ASVEREN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:15:15 +0200

Brian,

> [TOLGA] The configuration is:
>
>    AS1           AS2
>  +-----+       +-----+
>  | ASP1|       |ASP2 |
>  +--+--+       +--+--+
>     |             |
>     |   +-----+   |
>     +---+ SGP1+---+
>         +-----+
> SGP1 is routing between AS1 and AS2.
>
>
>
> [Anjali] I understand the configuration Tolga.But just tell me  where do
> the
> ASs above get the data to route to since the NIF is not available and no
> connectivity with the MTP3.So I repeat my point
>
> when the connectivity with the SS7 is lost , so where has the
> SGP the data to send to the ASP or route to the ASPs it is connected to.
> The SGP informs ASPs about it thru ASPIA-ack which does not involve any
> interasp-routing.
> [TOLGA]Data is transmitted from/to AS1 to/from AS2. So there is no need
> that any data is arriving from SS7 domain. Brian's comment is that for
that
> routing to happen NIF/MTP3 functionality is needed.

Yes, because M3UA has no such functionality.

Where in the RFC does it discuss M3UA's ability to route
messages between AS without involving NIF?

I see where it discusses taking events from the NIF (MTP primitives) and
formulating and sending the equivalent M3UA message to the ASP, and where
it discusses receiving M3UA messages from the ASP and formulating requests
to the NIF (MTP primitives), but nowhere is the SGP described as routing
M3UA messages between AS of its own accord.  Nor is the SGP described as
maintaning any routing tables asside from those used to take events from
the
NIF and pass them to the ASP.
[TOLGA]I don't totally disagree with you(i.e. you convinced me). But I
don't feel that enough consideration is given to that topic, while updating
M3UA documents. I agree, it looks fine if one does the routing in MTP3. I
disagree to some extent that SGP does not do any routing at all, if AS and
SG have different PCs, IMO it does perform also routing functionality.

Therefore, no NIF, no routing between AS.

Besides, DUNA is not appropriate at all.  DUNA represents events which
have occured in the SS7 network (MTP-PAUSE from the NIF).  All SSNM
represent SS7 network events.  M3UA events use ASPTM, ASPSM and MGMT
messages.
[TOLGA]For that I disagree. SSNM is about events related with SS7
destinations, regardless whether they reside in IP or traditional domain.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 04:26:19 -0700

TOLGA,

TOLGA ASVEREN wrote:                                                                 (Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:15:15)
> SG have different PCs, IMO it does perform also routing functionality.

AS an SGs do not have different PCs.  The SG has all the PCs.  The SG is
responsible for the SPMC (the PC).  The AS is not.

> destinations, regardless whether they reside in IP or traditional domain.

A PC exists only in the SS7 domain (network).  SSNM only concerns events
in the SS7 domain (network).

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/