Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA NA in DATA message

From: "B.Sasidhar Reddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:26:59 +0530

Brian,
     The Routing Key contains the Network Appearance parameter. So the Routing context itself identifies the network.
      Why we should again send the Network Appearance parameter in the DATA message.

Thanks
Sasidhar

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 01:10:09 -0700

Sasidhar,

You don't need to send the Network Apperance parameter.  It is
optional.

However, some implementations might need it to work properly.
The note in 3.3.1 says "the parameter may be configured to be
present for the use of the receiver."  Note also that the
parameter is for SSNM as well as DATA.

There was quite a lot of discussion about this before we came to
a workable concensus.

IIRC John Schantz' implementation (and possibly others) use this
parameter.

In our implementation, per 3.3.1, we send this parameter
whenever it is available to M3UA (i.e.  configured) for those
peers that might benefit from it.  Whenever we receive it in
DATA or SSNM we check it if available (again configured) and
return the Invalid Network Appearance error if it does not match
configuration.  If it is not configured we ignore NA parameters
in received DATA and SSNM and do not send NA in outgoing DATA
or SSNM.

I think John could better summarize its uses as he was one of
the main advocates of including it in DATA and SSNM during the
discussions.  John?

--brian

B.Sasidhar Reddy wrote:                                                         (Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:26:59)
> 
>    Brian,
> 
>         The Routing Key contains the Network Appearance parameter. So the
>    Routing context itself identifies the network.
> 

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran