Subject: [Sigtran] M3UA IG02: ASPIA-ack changed to DUNA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:57:58 +0530

Hi...

          This is corresponding to a change in   M3UA  IG02 where DUNA has been
substituted inplaceof ASPIA-ack in case NIF is not available.
The IG mentions that this is to allow Inter-ASP routing...I am not able to
understand how ??
Also this was initially in IG00 as DUNA  then chaged to ASPIA-ack
could you please clarify.

Thanks in advance
Anjali
www.hssworld.com

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 01:14:39 -0700

Anjali,

This change in 3.4.2 in IG02 was the wrong thing to do.  Last I heard Ken
was waiting for more "feedback".

As an ASP receiving SSNM from one SGP interprets it as pertaining to the
entire SG, this particular passage is in error:

    If one or more SGP suffer a partial failure (where aborting the
    association(s) would cause all active AS(es) to fail), then the SGP
    MUST send DUNA messages for the affected SPC(es).  This is the case
    where an SGP can continue to service one or more active AS(es), but
    due to a partial failure it is unable to service other(s) active
    AS(es).

SSNM are not interpreted on a per-SGP basis.  Therefore, sending DUNA from
one affected SGP will stop traffic from all SGPs.  This in inappropriate.
Sending ASPIA-Ack for the affected AS (because ASPTM is per-SGP) will only
stop traffic to the affected SGP and not the entire SG.

So IG02 is heavily flawed in this respect (and it has the gall to say MUST).

Take a look at the thread

  "I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sigtran-m3ua-implementors-guide-02.txt"

for this and additional serious flaws in IG02.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                                                 (Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:57:58)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Ken Morneault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:34:48 -0500

Anjali,

Brian is correct that he requested a change to Section 3.4.2.  IG03
left the text the same because there has not been feedback
on the list.

I will repost Brian's proposed changes and, hopefully, there will
be some comments (Anjali - please review and respond to the
list).

Regards,

Ken