Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M2PA: Revised section 3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:47:39 -0500

Hello Tom,

Here's the summary of the defects of the new version
of M2PA figure 7:

1  Missing arrow from ALIGNED_READY to PROCESSOR_OUTAGE for
   received LSPO.
2  Arrow from ALIGNED_READY to ALIGNED_NOT_READY is incorrectly
   labelled with 'Receive LSPO/PR'.
3  Missing arrow from ALIGNED_NOT_READY to OOS for MTP3 Stop,
   SCTP Comm Error, SCTP Comm Lost, and Receive LS OOS events.
4  Missing arrow from ALIGNED_READY for received LSPx.
5  Missing arrow from PROVING to ALIGNED (or INITIAL_ALIGNMENT
   as per the figure) for received LSA.
6  Missing label for Receive LS OOS during NOT_ALIGNED
   (or INITIAL_ALIGNMENT, as per the figure)
7  Missing arrow for 'Receive LSA' during ALIGNED (or
   INITIAL_ALIGNMENT as per the figure).
8  Arrow from PROCESSOR_OUTAGE to IN_SERVICE is incorrectly
   labelled. Receipt of LPR or LSPOE during PROCESSOR_OUTAGE
   does not cause a transition to IN_SERVICE, but rather
   MTP3 Flush or MTP3 Continue event does.
9  Arrow from ALIGNED_NOT_READY to PROCESSOR_OUTAGE is missing
   the 'receive User Data' event.
10 Inconsistency: Why list 'Send LS PO' and 'Send LS Ready' for
   transition from ALIGNED_READY when no other 'Send' events
   are listed in the figure?
11 'Flush Buffers' and 'Retrieval' event labels on the
   OUT_OF_SERVICE state are not consistent with the other
   MTP3 primitives, e.g. 'MTP3 Stop'.

For more information, please refer to my previous comments
on the list. Below is my proposed figure that corrects the
defects. I think clarity can be improved if the INITIAL_ALIGNMENT
state is divided into NOT_ALIGNED and ALIGNED states.

Regards,

Jeff

=========================================================================
                   +-----------+
                   |   POWER   |
                   |    OFF    |
                   +-----------+
                         |
                         | Power On
                         |
          MTP3 Flush     |  +-----------------------------------------+
       OR MTP3 Retrieval |  |                                         |
              +-------+  |  |                                         |
              |       |  V  V                                         |
              |    +-----------+                                      |
              +--->|  OUT OF   |                                      |
  +--------------->|  SERVICE  |<--+                                  |
  |                +-----------+   | Link Configured                  |
  |                      |   |     | (Associate)                      |
  |                      |   +-----+                                  |
  |     Receive LS OOS   |                                            |
  |           +-------+  | MTP3 Start                                 |
  |           |       |  V                                            |
  |           |    +-----------+                                      |
  |           +--->|    NOT    |                                      |
  +<---------------|  ALIGNED  |------------------------------------->+
  |     MTP3 Stop  +-----------+     SCTP Comm Error                  |
  |  OR T2 Expiry        |        OR SCTP Comm Lost                   |
  |                      |                                            |
  |                      |    Receive LS Align                        |
  |                      | OR Receive LS Prov Norm                    |
  |     Receive LS Align | OR Receive LS Prov Emer                    |
  |           +-------+  |                                            |
  |           |       |  V                                            |
  |           |    +-----------+                                      |
  |           +--->|  ALIGNED  |                                      |
  +<---------------|           |------------------------------------->+
  |     MTP3 Stop  +-----------+     SCTP Comm Error                  |
  |  OR T3 Expiry      ^    |     OR SCTP Comm Lost                   |
  |  OR Receive LS OOS |    |                                         |
  |                    |    |                                         |
  |                    |    |    Receive LS Prov Norm                 |
  |   Receive LS Align |    | OR Receive LS Prov Emer                 |
  |                    |    |                                         |
  |                    |    |                                         |
  |      Rcv LS Prov X |    |                                         |
  |   OR Rcv LS Ready  |    |                                         |
  |   OR Rcv LS PO     |    |                                         |
  |           +------+ |    |                                         |
  |           |      | |    V                                         |
  |           |    +-----------+                                      |
  |           +--->|  PROVING  |------------------------------------->+
  |<---------------|           |-----+           SCTP Comm Error      |
  |     MTP3 Stop  +-----------+     |          OR SCTP Comm Lost     |
  |  OR Receive LS OOS   |           |                                |
  |                      |           | T4 Expiry                      |
  |                      |           | (LPO)                          |
  |            T4 Expiry |           |                                |
  |             (No LPO) |           |                       +------->+
  |                      |           |   MTP3 Stop           |        |
  |                      |           |   OR Receive LS OOS   |        |
  |                      |           |   OR SCTP Comm Error  |        |
  |                      |           |   OR SCTP Comm Lost   |        |
  |       Rcv LS Prov X  |           |   OR T1 Expiry        |        |
  |           +-------+  |           |   OR Receive LS Align |        |
  |           |       |  V           |                       |        |
  |           |    +-----------+ LPO V             +-----------+      |
  |           +--->|  ALIGNED  |-----+------------>|  ALIGNED  |      |
  +<---------------|   READY   |<------------------| NOT READY |      |
  |     MTP3 Stop  +-----------+       LPR         +-----------+      |
  |  OR T1 Expiry        |   |                        | Rcv LS Ready  |
  |  OR Receive LS OOS   |   |                        | OR Rcv Data   |
  |  OR Receive LS Align |   | Receive LS PO          | OR Rcv LS PO  |
  |  OR SCTP Comm Error  |   +----------------------->+               |
  |  OR SCTP Comm Lost   |                            |               |
  |                      |                            |               |
  |                      |    Receive LS Ready        |               |
  |                      | OR Receive User Data       |               |
  |                      V                            V               |
  |                +-----------+ LPO or Rcv LS PO  +-----------+      |
  |                |    IN     |------------------>| PROCESSOR |      |
  +<---------------|  SERVICE  |<------------------|  OUTAGE   |      |
                   +-----------+    MTP3 Flush     +-----------+      |
       MTP3 Stop                 OR MTP3 Continue            |        |
    OR Receive LS OOS                                        |        |
    OR SCTP Comm Error                     MTP3 Stop         |        |
    OR SCTP Comm Lost                   OR Receive LS OOS    |        |
    OR T6 Expiry                        OR SCTP Comm Error   |        |
    OR T7 Expiry                        OR SCTP Comm Lost    |        |
    OR M2PA Link Failure                OR M2PA Link Failure |        |
    OR Receive LS Align                 OR Receive LS Align  +------->+

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Andrew Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:52:24 -0500

Hi Jeff,

The state transition from Processor Outage to In Service seems overly 
simplistic; we need to have cleared both local and remote processor 
outage. Would it be better to refer to the processor outage section?

Is the state diagram you provided is based on your proposed text changes 
in "(M2PA) Another change to the state machine diagram..." from Feb 27, 
2003?

Andrew

-- 
Andrew Booth, Software Developer
Signaling Systems Group, Performance Technologies
613-237-4344

Visit www.pt.com/mailing.html to subscribe to our Packets & Signals eLetter.

---

From: Andrew Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:11:13 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I used the wrong reference. Is the state diagram you proposed 
based on your proposed text changes in "Re: AW: [Sigtran] M2PA draft 07 
comments: LPO" from Feb 19, 2003?

Andrew

Andrew Booth wrote:

> Is the state diagram you provided is based on your proposed text 
> changes in "(M2PA) Another change to the state machine diagram..." 
> from Feb 27, 2003?
>
> Andrew
>