Subject: [Sigtran] Load Selector Parameter Tag conflicts with SUA

From: "Pascal Bouveron (Netbricks)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:34:36 +0200

Hello,

I was reviewing Brian's "draft-bidulock-sigtran-LOADSEL-04.txt" document, 
and discovered that the "Load Selector" Parameter Tag, defined to 0x0018, 
conflicts with SUA "Local RK Id".

It is not so important because SUA "Local RK Id" is a sub-Parameter of the 
SUA REG RES Parameter, and will therefore never appear as a "first-level" 
Parameter (i.e not a sub-Parameter), and so should not confuse when decoding 
Messages, but it's probably better not to have conflicts at all, especially 
when the LOADSEL procedures apply to ALL UAs (including SUA).

It would be good to change it some day in LOADSEL document, before vendors 
implementations of LOADSEL become available if any.

Would there be any chance that the "Load Selector" and "Load Selection" (or 
"Load Key") Tag values could be officially "reserved" in the 
www.iana.org/assignments/sigtran-adapt document, to prevent future potential 
conflicts ?

It would have been a good idea to define the few SUA's Class-00 Parameter 
Tags within the Parameter Class-01, reserved for SUA... but that's far too 
late now.
Can i suggest that any new UA-specific Parameters SHOULD be defined within 
their respective UA-Class rather than eating-up Class-00 ?

Best regards
Pascal Bouveron
=============================================
www.netbricks.com
Netbricks - Provence - FRANCE
Tel: (+33) (0)4 42 91 44 77 -- Fax:  (+33) (0)4 42 91 44 71
=============================================

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:42:20 -0600

Pascal,

Well, its been that way for about 3 1/2 years now.  Please see the notes on
the bottom of page 37.

--brian

Pascal Bouveron (Netbricks) wrote:               (Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:34:36)
> conflicts with SUA "Local RK Id".

Well, its been that way for about 3 1/2 years now.  Please see the notes on
the bottom of page 37.

> Tags within the Parameter Class-01, reserved for SUA... but that's far too 

I pushed for quite the reverse.  There are common parameters with common
procedures that are not in Class-00 and IMO should be.

> their respective UA-Class rather than eating-up Class-00 ?

I disagree: common parameters with common procedures should be in Class-00.

--brian

---

From: "Pascal Bouveron (Netbricks)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:26:31 +0200

Brian,

> Well, its been that way for about 3 1/2 years now.  Please see the notes 

Do you mean that there's no chance that the ids defined in LOADSEL would 
shift to clear the conflict ?

> procedures that are not in Class-00 and IMO should be.

I see your point: M3UA defines the same Reg-Result, Dereg-Result, 
Reg-Status, Dereg-Status and Local-RK-id Parameters as SUA, but in the 
M3UA-Class, for historical reasons.
Defining them in Class-00 for SUA is a way to push towards using these 
Parameters rather than defining new ones for any new UA that would use 
similar procedures.
I totally agree with that.

> I disagree: common parameters with common procedures should be in 

Indeed.

Pascal Bouveron / Netbricks

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:00:40 -0600

Pascal,

Pascal Bouveron (Netbricks) wrote:            (Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:26:31)
> shift to clear the conflict ?

  [1]  EDITOR'S NOTE:-  The Load Selector and Load Selection tag
       values shown throughout this document as 0x0018) and 0x0019)
       will be assigned by IANA within the common parameter range of
       the SIGTRAN UAs and may change its value in further versions of
       this document.

I mean to say that (obviously) values are not assigned until IANA
does so: expired drafts cannot assign values.

Unless any of these drafts stand a chance of becoming a WG document,
there is little point in changing them at the moment.  They are all
expired.  I can resubmit them if there are some in the WG willing to
review or contribute to them.  Outdated versions of the common UA
drafts can be found here: http://www.openss7.org/sigtran01.html

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/