Subject: [Sigtran] Notify procedure

From: Dario Filjar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
   
  can you please clarify few questions regarding Notify procedure:
   
  1. to which ASPs the Notify message must be sent:
   
  a) inactive or active ASPs for which AS is known either by static configuration or by Routing Key registration procedure
  b) ASPs in a "pool of inactive ASPs"
   
  I am interested if only ASPs in a) should receive Notify procedure, or if those in b) should receive it too?
   
  2. How to explain the following statement , RFC 4666, section 4.3.4.5.:
   
  "When an ASP moves from ASP-DOWN to ASP-INACTIVE within a particular AS, a Notify message should be sent...."
   
  How can ASP go up to INACTIVE state within particular AS ?
   
  3. the section 4.3.4.5. states that Notify MUST be sent to all ASPs in the AS (except those in DOWN state), but in section 4.3.4.3 ASP Active Procedure, paragraph describing Override mode AS:
   
  "The SGP or IPSP MUST send a Notify message (Alternate ASP_Active) to the previously active ASP in the AS.."
   
  shouldn't Notify be sent to all ASPs (including those who were previously INACTIVE)?
   
  Thanks in advance!
   
  Kind regards, Dario

 
---------------------------------
Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 05:27:47 -0600

Dario,

Please see comments below...

Dario Filjar wrote:                             (Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:22:46)
>    a)  inactive  or  active  ASPs  for which AS is known either by static
>    configuration or by Routing Key registration procedure
> 

Just a).  But in the case of NTFY("Alternate ASP Active in AS") for an
Override AS, the rules are, of course, different.

>    How can ASP go up to INACTIVE state within particular AS ?

Look at the state diagram.  An ASP moves from ASP-DOWN to ASP-INACTIVE for
an AS by completing the ASP Up procedure where the ASP is associated with an
AS by static configuration, or by completing the Dynamic Registration
procedure for the AS.

Whenever an ASP becomes newly inactive in this way, it should be sent Notify
messages indicating the current status of the AS because the ASP might not
have knowledge about the current state of the AS as viewed by the SG because
it has not received previous Notify messages.

>    3. the section 4.3.4.5. states that Notify MUST be sent to all ASPs in
>    the AS (except those in DOWN state), but in section 4.3.4.3 ASP Active
>    Procedure, paragraph describing Override mode AS:
> 

As I said above, the rules for this particular message is different.

>    shouldn't  Notify  be  sent  to  all  ASPs  (including  those who were

This particular message must not be sent to the Overriding ASP, but can be
sent to all other ASPs in the AS (except those in the DOWN state).

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/