Subject: [Sigtran] RC & NA doubt

From: "Aditya Sehgal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:34:15 +0530

Hi All,

Section 3.6.1 of RFC M3UA 4666 states

" If the Network Appearance is not specified and the Routing Key
applies to all Network Appearances, then this Routing Key MUST be the
only
  one registered for the association; that is, Routing Context is
implied, and DATA and SSNM messages are discriminated on Network
  Appearance rather than on Routing Context.  Where Network Appearance
is not specified and there is only one Network
  Appearance, then Network Appearance is implied"

It says Routing Key can apply to al Network Apperances. [An example
scenario anyone??]

However, further down in Section 3.7.1 while explaining ASP ACTIVE
message, in Routing Context RFC states
"Because an AS can only appear in one Network Appearance, the Network
Appearance parameter is not  required in the ASP Active message."

and the AS is suppose to service a Routing Key.

Isnt the RFC implying that a Routing Key can span multiple Network
Apperances and later on implying the opposite. Please correct if there
is a gap in my understanding?

Thanks & Regards,
Aditya Sehgal

-- 
Don't take life too seriously....Nobody comes out alive anyway

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 03:56:32 -0700

Aditya,

Aditya Sehgal wrote:                                                (Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:34:15)
> is a gap in my understanding?

Because Network Appearance is an abstract concept, there need be no
difference between "one" an "all".  (Said another way: there are no
rules or constraints on the cardinality of network appearances.)

But I agree the text is confusing.  It is ironic that it was added
to the RFC to "clarify" the situation.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: "Aditya Sehgal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:50:33 +0530

Brian,
I am not sure I follow. Can you explain this in a better way?

Thanks for you time

Aditya Sehgal

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:59:35 -0700

Aditya,

> Appearance parameter is not  required in the ASP Active message."

as this:

| Because an AS can only appear in one (or all) Network Appearance(s),
| the Network Appearance parameter is not required in the ASP Active
| message.

--brian

Aditya Sehgal wrote:                                                (Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:50:33)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/