Subject: [Sigtran] [M3UA] IPSP/ASP Management request and Reinitiating the procedures

From: Santhana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:03:25 +0530

Hi Brian

            When an ASP(IPSP) receive an DOWN message when it is in
ACTIVE/INACTIVE state, it changes its state to DOWN, responds with DOWN Ack
and try to initiate the procedures to return itself to
ACTIVE/INACTIVE(management requested state). But the peer requested for DOWN
and now ASP reinitiate procedures to return to ACTIVE/INACTIVE. By this the
peer again become ACTIVE/INACTIVE. Now the effort of peer in making the ASP
DOWN went in vein, as it is now becoming ACTIVE/INACTIVE. So is this
re-initiation not a hinderance to the peer ?

In case if the peers Management requested state is DOWN, then it may return
back an ERROR "refused mgmt blocking". Then once ASP receives this ERROR it
should not do this re-initiation procedures. Is it correct ? 

Then always the lowest of the Management requested state at both sides, can
only be the state of the ASP at any instance. Is it correct?

Regards

Santhanakrishnan

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:03:09 -0600

Santhana,

The only time the RFC proscribes the ASP attempting to return to its
previous state from ASP DOWN state is when an _unsolicited_ ASP Down Ack
is received. (RFC 4666/ASP-Down Procedures 4.2.4.2)

Responses to ASP Down in IPSP mode is not the same thing.  Upon receiving
an ASP Down, the ASP state is set to ASP DOWN and an APS Down Ack is sent.

The peer can reattempt ASP Up at any time from the ASP DOWN state.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/