Subject: Re: [Simple] updated presence-rules draft

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 22:21:18 -0400

I started to type this response a month back but never finished it. 
Apologies for the delay in responding.

inline.

Arjun Roychowdhury wrote:

> The <sub-handling> part of this authorization I-D is very useful for 
> authorization of 'any state sharing' - not just presence. 
>  
> My question, therefore, is that should the common-policy draft include, 
> at the least, some of the <sub-handling> clauses in its schema 
> definition instead of leaving it open for others to extend ? Or, the 
> presence-authorization draft makes its scope more general by saying the 
> draft applies to a wide variety of state sharing, not limited to 
> presence authorization.

This is a good question. The specification was meant to address presence
specifically, and not be a generic package-independent authorization
document. Sub-handling is pretty much the only thing that might be
shared across packages; almost everything else in the spec is specific
to presence. As such, an authorization policy spec for another package
will need more than sub-handling.

I'll also note that subscription handling authorization for other
packages varies; in some packages, they aren't authorized by the
subscriber at all; rather, authorization is almost an algorithmic 
function of the subscriber. For example, with the watcherinfo event 
package, its usually just the subscriber themselves.

Consequently, I think the document should stay focused on its current 
scope - providing authorization for presence.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple