Subject: [Simple] Question on Presence Data Model draft

From: Vishal Kumar Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 19:49:59 -0400

Hello,

In vehicle tracking for a user (applications), where should we put the 
information about the vehicle itself in the PIDF or in other words, how 
do we model the vehicle's information. Information about a vehicle is 
coming from a presence source in vehicle. This information may include 
vehicle's location and vehicle specific information like its ignition 
status, fuel status, movement status (parked, moving) etc.

Regards,
Vishal

-- 
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that 
counts can be counted.
-By Albert Einstein

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Rohan Mahy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:01:37 -0700

Hi Vishal,

I'm assuming that the vehicle is a tuple for a human presentity--that
the car doesn't have its own resource/presentity name.

I don't think ignition is really orthogonal to movement status.  I
think you want a rich presence indicator of movement within the tuple
representing the vehicle.  The lock status might be relevant here as
well.  What you are probably trying to determine is 1) a state of
occupancy, and 2) a state of distraction. Keep in mind that many
hybrids don't require use of an ignition switch.  I think these work
for automobiles and trucks, but not for other types of vehicles:

- parked locked (vehicle off)
- parked unlocked (vehicle off)
- standing (vehicle ready - idling/enabled)
- stopped (vehicle not moving, but in a driving "gear")
- under-way (vehicle in motion)

You probably don't want fuel status.  Projected range is probably more
interesting.  1 liter of fuel in a Prius vs. 1 liter in a Hummer makes
a big difference in range.

The car stereo is often an interesting contributor to presence.  Some
cars even allow you to turn on the stereo with the ignition off. As a
student I used to sit in my car while studying, because the stereo was
better there.  Be aware that many car stereos are easily heard (and
listened to) outside the vehicle.

Finally, if one or more of the seat belts are on this is probably a
pretty reliable indicator of the presence of a human.  Unfortunately,
not having seat belts on is not a reliable indicator that there are
*not* humans in the car.

thanks,
-rohan