Subject: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Message Session Relay Protocol
	Author(s)	: B. Campbell, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-16.txt
	Pages		: 62
	Date		: 2006-10-23
	
This document describes the Message Session Relay Protocol, a
   protocol for transmitting a series of related instant messages in the
   context of a session.  Message sessions are treated like any other
   media stream when set up via a rendezvous or session creation
   protocol such as the Session Initiation Protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-16.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-16.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-16.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:21:35 +0100

Hi,

I have looked at how this new draft resolves the discusses I had. I have 
updated it to remove the things I see as satisfied. However there are 
still issues unresolved:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=print_ballot&ballot_id=1291&filename=draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions

1. I moved my Checksum related discuss into a comment note to be saved 
for posterity.

2. My Discuss regarding media type parameters are still not resolved. I 
will here try to motivate it a bit more. The reason I think that 
parameters are necessary in the accept-types header are the following.

a. Bucket types (RFC 4281) where I think accept-wrapped-types are not 
solving the issue. This as a number of included media in bucket types 
are lacking a media type themselves, and in addition that media type may 
have very little format wise from the one the media type represents. 
Thus to make the bucket types work we need parameters.
b. When handling media types in the text part, there is need to consider 
charsets. Charset is commonly a parameter to the media type.
c. Some media types have parameters that result in substantial 
processing or hardware needs, like multi-channel audio. Which is 
indicated through parameters.

Thus I think the inclusion of parameters with the media types is necessary.

3. Section 15.2, is still not complete with all defined MSRP headers.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]