Subject: [Simple] Request URI and To header in SUBSCRIBE request

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:22:40 +0300

Hello, 

I am not able to find out what should happen when a SUBSCRIBE request
has different URIs in Request URI and in To header:

SUBSCRIBE sip:[email-masked] SIP/2.0
...
To: sip:[email-masked]
...

Which header should I take as the one to which the subscription is
targeted? Is this defined somewhere?

Thank you for your time,

Silvestr Peknik
Software Specialist
TietoEnator	

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: samuel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:58:20 +0200

Req-URI always identifies the target of the request.

Samuel.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:50:18 +0300

So, does To header have any purpose apart from dialog identification?

Silvestr
>-----Original Message-----
>From: samuel [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:58 PM
>To: Peknik Silvestr
>Cc: [email-masked]; Pilar David
>Subject: Re: [Simple] Request URI and To header in SUBSCRIBE request
>

---

From: Hartley Mendoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:59:01 +0800

I think that the To Header is the resource in which the SUBSCRIBE
message is intended for.
And the Req-URI can be the server/host of the the Resource...

---

From: Hartley Mendoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:59:01 +0800

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:08:29 +0300

Hi again,

I still am not sure about this.

Lets say that watcher puts pres uri as the Request URI. According to
rfc3261, he should set To header to the same value. The network replaces
the pres URI in R-URI with SIP URI. Now the Presence Server receives
request where in R-URI is SIP URI, and To header contains pres URI. I
read some discussion, where was stated that entity attribute in NOTIFY
messages should be set to the same value the watcher used in the
subscription - it was "least surprise" rule. So my opinion is that PS
should use To header to identify the target of the SUBSCRIBE request.

Could please someone responsible comment on this?

Thank you, 
Silvestr

>From: Hartley Mendoza [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:59 AM
>To: [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:28:15 -0400

> should use To header to identify the target of the SUBSCRIBE request.

What if the subscription was initially addressed to 
sip:[email-masked]. Alice is on sabbatical, and has set her proxy for 
forward all requests to sip:[email-masked]. Subscriptions to Alice's 
presence will start with sip:[email-masked] in the To-URI and R-URI. 
Ultimately they will end up at the presence server serving Bob, which 
has no knowledge of Alice's presence. It must decide what to return 
based on the R-URI, not the To-URI.

	Paul

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:17:02 +0300

ext [email-masked] kirjoitti:
> request where in R-URI is SIP URI, and To header contains pres URI.

This depends. The domain's proxy could as well directly forward the
request to the PS, without rewriting the R-URI. The forwarding logic
could for instance look for PUBLISH and SUBSCRIBE requests, where the
Event is set to presence.

The two could also be one and the same. I think there are many ways to
solve this, but it's mostly a deployment issue.

Cheers,
Aki