Subject: [sip-clf] Using the PEN

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I ran the question of using PEN=0 and PEN=<vendor id> past a few people.

IANA did not have an opinion.

David Harrington, the author of RFC5612 thinks that it would be good.
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5612.txt

The best response I got was from Dan Romascanu who wrote:
>> PENs are using in various protocols and the usage of Enterprise Numbers
>> may (at least in theory) be different from protocol to protocol, so it
>> would be best if the respective protocol documents refer explicitly how
>> 'special' values like 0 are used. True, the convention that 0 is the
>> value reserved for IETF standards is widely used (for example to
>> identify standard notifications in SMI) but as SIP-CLF defines a
>> different DML I would suggest that adopting the convention is OK, and
>> mentioning it explicitly is best.

Bert Wijnen agreed with Dan.

Thanks,
Chris

---

From: Gonzalo Salgueiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:47:11 -0400

Fantastic! Thanks Chris.

We'll proceed with my proposal and be very clear as to the treatment of PEN, including PEN=0, with respect to the logging of optional fields.

Thanks again.

--Gonzalo

On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Chris Lonvick wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> sip-clf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip-clf