Subject: [sip-clf] draft-ietf-sipclf-format-01, IPv6 format

From: Anders Nygren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:57:52 -0600

Hi
For Destination IP address:port and Source IP address:port it only specifies
that "The port number MUST be separated from the IP address by a single ':'"
It does not say anything about how IPv6 addresses should be represented.

But according to "A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation",
RFC 5952, IPv6Address':'port is ambiguous. Because of this RFC 5952 ch.6 says
    "The [] style as expressed in [RFC3986] SHOULD be employed, and is
      the default unless otherwise specified"

This also seems to be the same format as specified by the SIP ABNF for
host:port.

I think it would be useful to add that to the descriptions of
Destination IP address:port and Source IP address:port.
If not RFC 5952 then at least some other comment about allowed/recommended
formats for IPv6 addresses.

/Anders

---

From: Gonzalo Salgueiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:04:06 -0400

Thanks Anders. There are two reasonable possibilities here:

1) I'll add some text to explain that the address:port is a general representation. While purely having address:port is appropriate for IPv4, the more appropriate square brackets syntax [address]:port should be used for IPv6

2) Use the syntax [address]:port SHALL be used for both IPv4 and IPv6

I prefer option #2 for its broad-based usage and simplicity. Hopefully folks will weigh in with their preference.

Regards,

Gonzalo

On Mar 16, 2011, at 6:57 PM, Anders Nygren wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> sip-clf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip-clf