Subject: [sip-overload] Open issue #2: Load balancer in front of a server farm

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:23:35 -0600

Folks: A second --- and final --- open issue that I need to
close the loop on when draft-gurbani-soc-overload-control was
adopted as a WG deliverable is documented in [1] under the load
balancer comment (specifically, how does the proposed mechanism
work in cases where there is a load balancer in front of a
server farm.)

I will try to close the loop on this one.

First, draft-ietf-soc-overload-control itself does not contain
any mention of load balancers.  That job falls to
draft-ietf-soc-overload-design [2] (see the Topologies
section.)  Second, pursuant to the adoption of
draft-ietf-soc-overload-control, new text was put in
draft-ietf-soc-overload-design to address the issue of having
a load balancer in front of a server farm [3].

As such, I don't think anything else is required in
draft-ietf-soc-overload-control.  If anyone disagrees, please do
post a message on the list.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00414.html
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-02
[3] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00432.html

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/