Subject: draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:41:51 -0500

I plan to introduce the draft below at the Washington meeting, and look
forward to discussion before then.

Robert Sparks
MCI WorldCom
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 1999 5:58 AM
To: IETF-Announce: ;IETF-Announce:;@wcom.com
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Providing for Multiple-Proxy Authentication of a SIP
                          Request
	Author(s)	: R. Sparks
	Filename	: draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 21-Oct-99

SIP/2.0 as specified in RFC2543 provides a mechanism for a proxy
involved in a SIP transaction to authenticate the originator of the
request. Unfortunately, this mechanism is not well defined when more
than one proxy in a requestÆs path desires such authentication. This
draft proposes a mechanism that would allow authentication in that
scenario to work as expected. Under this proposal, SIP clients would
issue requests with multiple Proxy-Authorization headers, one for
each challenge it has seen in the lifetime of a given call leg.
Authenticating SIP proxies would search each request for a Proxy-
Authorization response to its own challenge, passing any others
downstream unaltered.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sparks-sip-multiproxy-auth-00.txt