Subject: Neccesity of SIP Proxy server?

From: "Yu Shen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:44:45 -0700

In SIP specification (2.0), Proxy server is used to complete a call between user agent client (UAC) and user agent server (UAS). I'm wondering for a particular implementation using SIP, can the functionality of proxy be combined into UAC and UAS respectively? What would be the problem, if done so?

Thanks, 

Yu Shen
UTStarCom.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:07:26 -0400

> Yu Shen wrote:
> 
> In SIP specification (2.0), Proxy server is used to complete a call
> between user agent client (UAC) and user agent server (UAS). I'm
> wondering for a particular implementation using SIP, can the
> functionality of proxy be combined into UAC and UAS respectively? What
> would be the problem, if done so?

A proxy server is not needed to complete SIP calls. Any service you can
implement in a proxy, except forking, can probably be done in a UA.
Allowing an end system to be both a UA and a proxy is feasible with some
acrobatics, since names like proxy and UA are only logical designations
and don't constrain how you combine things.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs