Subject: IPS7 - What is it? Where's the signalling part of it?

From: Bobby Sardana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:53:05 -0500

Greetings:

Was reading an interesting article in the "Telephony" [October 25, 99]
which mentions Nortel's new initiative about IPS7 signalling that will
bridge SS7 & IP networks. However, after checking the IETF site, for the
IPS7 draft, and there is one available, I was unable to find the
signalling aspect and any protocols involved with it.

Is anyone on this forum aware of this initiative and its details?

Thanks.

Bobby Sardana.
[email-masked]

---

From: "Lyndon Ong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:13:27 -0700

Bobby,

IPS7 is more closely related to the Sigtran effort in IETF, if you would like more information I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Lyndon Ong

---

From: Francois Menard List Account <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:03:14 -0400 (EDT)

Unless I am mistaken, what I was able to assess is that IPS7 is the
proprietary SIGTRAN protocol that Nortel has been shipping for a little
while.

-=Francois=-

---

From: "Lyndon Ong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:39:23 -0700

>proprietary SIGTRAN protocol that Nortel has been shipping for a little

I think of it more as a "vision thing" ;o) - our view of the architecture for interworking SS7 and IP systems, currently supported in products by non-standard protocols but obviously going towards an open standard in the future...

Cheers,

L. Ong

---

From: Bobby Sardana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:05:42 -0500

> I think of it more as a "vision thing" ;o) - our view of the architecture for interworking SS7 and IP systems, currently supported in products by non-standard protocols but obviously going towards…

Is there a possibility that when moving towards open standards IPS7 would incorporate SIP-BCP for signalling?

Bobby Sardana.
[email-masked]