Subject: RE: More than one message in one SIP message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:40:30 +0530

Hi, RFC 2543 states [page 25]

"   Unlike HTTP, SIP MAY use UDP. When sent over TCP or UDP, multiple SIP
   transactions can be carried in a single TCP connection or UDP
   datagram. "

So  I think the RFC clearly states that multiple messages in one packet is
allowed.

Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

[email-masked] on 12/07/99 06:34:12 PM

To:   [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  RE: More than one message in one SIP message

> Can we have more then one message in one SIP message. e.g can there be
TRYING and RINGING in one sip message
Hi,
I assume you mean in UDP packets? the bit of RFC 2543 dealing with this
(1.5
protocol properties) doesnt specifically allow or disallow it, but the old
draft SIP specs (IIRC) said UDP SIP software should cope with one or more
SIP messages in one packet.
My SIP code (proxy server, plus several clients) is written to handle this,
if that helps.  :o)
regards ... Phil

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 09:21:44 -0500

Correct. Multiple messages are allowed. Note that they do NOT need to be
separated by CRLF. The first message (actually, the first N-1 messages
when there are N in a packet) MUST have a Content-Length. The next
message may start as the first byte after the last byte of the previous
payload. However, there MAY be CRLFs between messages, and you should
ignore them.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com