Subject: RE: [SIP] A question about Cancel request

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:58:49 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Drage, Keith (Keith) [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 9:48 AM
> To: 'Mayank Sharma'; Chen, Xin (Xin); [email-masked]';
> 'Jonathan Rosenberg'
> Subject: RE: [SIP] A question about Cancel request
> 
> 
> We have a clear incompatibility in the SIP drafts here.
> 
> While draft-ietf-sip-call-flows-03.txt section 3.2.3 implies that the
> expected action is to send a CANCEL, we have been unable to 
> find any text in
> the bis-02 draft indicating any special use of CANCEL from a 
> proxy in this
> case. 

I agree that it is worthwhile discussing the usage of CANCEL in a proxy in
more detail. Unless anyone objects, I will add some text (for -04) that says
that a proxy SHOULD NOT send a CANCEL for a timed-out request for which it
has not received any provisional response. The proxy is supposed to have
gotten a 100 if the final response can't be answered within 500ms. So, the
absence of a provisional response after 32s implies that there is either a
malfunctioning, or non-existent server at the receiving end of the request.
In either case, sending CANCEL is useless.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: kanumuri sreeram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:18:47 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

i have a douth regarding the 3pcc in sip.

i am clear that this is possible with the help of the controller.

like it is what which will take care of the signalling and the medai will be transfer will be taking place among them selves "true" i.e

A-------------CONTROLLER---------------------------B

  direct media transfer

===================================

ok but i am not claer about this entity controller can any one make me clear likw what is ?

if this is a different entity it should also be showm in the architecture of sip

like sipua,proxy,rediect,CONTROLLER....

so i am clear with me douth can anu one help me

sreeram

---------------------------------
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices

---

From: Brian Gracely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:11:52 -0400

the 3pcc controller can also be thought of as a back-to-back UA.....ie. 2 
UAs in the same logical entity.  It terminates the signaling, but the media 
goes between points A & B.  it will need to be call-stateful, like a UA.

BG

At 12:18 PM 04/25/2001 -0700, kanumuri sreeram wrote:

>like it is what which will take care of the signalling and the medai will 
>be transfer will be taking place among them selves "true" i.e
>
><http://auctions.yahoo.com/>Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at 
>great prices

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:15:13 -0500

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
[...]
> more detail. Unless anyone objects, I will add some text (for -04) that 
> says that a proxy SHOULD NOT send a CANCEL for a timed-out request for 
> which it has not received any provisional response. The proxy is supposed 
> to have gotten a 100 if the final response can't be answered within 500ms. 
> So, the absence of a provisional response after 32s implies that there is 
> either a malfunctioning, or non-existent server at the receiving end of 
> the request. In either case, sending CANCEL is useless.

Sounds good to me.  I always thought it was pointless sending a CANCEL to
the same destination that has not responded to re-transmitted INVITEs.

BTW, you mention -04 bis, what happened to -03?  As far as I know, -02 is
the latest on the SIP web site at Columbia...

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations 263 Shuman Blvd., Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184