Subject: RE: Summary of RE: [Sip] Comment, SIP Privacy draft

From: "Mark Watson"<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:11:05 +0100

Juha wrote:

> if someone subscribes to my sip service, i DO check for each message
> received from the user that the from field corresponds to what i have
> agreed with the user.  otherwise the user could fake to be somone else
> that i consider a bad thing.  if the from field doesn't match, i don't
> forward the message.  if that is not acceptable for the user, the use
> can choose another service provider or roll its own service.  
> ii do not
> modify anything.
> 

I think many service providers will wish to do the same, and indeed this
checking is required in 3GPP. The situation is much clearer in this case,
because in order to access the service at all, the user MUST insert their
true identity (or 'anonymous') into the From: field.

So, although it is the user's equipment which *physically* puts in the
information, it is the service which is responsible for this information
being there. The Service Provider clearly has a responibility to remove that
information (or reject the session) if the subscriber has requested that it
not be present.

Rejecting the session and requesting the UA to re-try with 'anonymous' would
be great, but it doesn't work with RFC2543 clients and requires a double
attempt for session establishment, which is not good for wireless.

So, in this case I think the Service Provider *will* need to have the
capability to remove this information. They will need a B2BUA as described
in previous mails. No standardisation is required.

...Mark

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:06:16 +0300

> true identity (or 'anonymous') into the From: field.

if the call goes to pstn, the user gets calling number anonymity by
using Anonymous as the display string.  if the call goes to another sip
user, the same thing happens, but i must implement b2ua and rewrite the
from header.  no standardization is needed in order to accomplish this.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip