Subject: [Sip] Expert Review for P-Headers Drafts

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:49:12 -0500

You've already seen a few and will see many more requests for us to
provide expert review for P-header drafts.

P-headers, if you haven't been following, are "private, preliminary, or
proprietary" extension headers. They are published as informational
drafts, general as individual contributions. The process is set out in
draft-tsv-sipchange and is based on the process defined in RFC 2026 for
informational documents.

Expert Review is basically the equivalent of a Working Group Last Call
for this sort of draft. It should take a couple of weeks, and may
involve multiple updates of the document. As always, getting feedback to
the editors as soon as reasonably possible is a Good Thing.

Our tasks in reviewing these include:

1) Establish that the document is "publication grade" for IETF -- in the
right format, properly referenced, and effectively using requirements
language. Bascially, a "nits review".

2) Detect significant overlaps with chartered general purpose work. In
general, we wish to avoid P-headers that overlap with some problem we've
already identified and are working on solving, especially if the general
solution is near-term.

3) Detect serious security issues. P-headers MAY proceed with security
questions, but we need to make sure that the issues are adequately
documented and will probably propose fixes.

4) Look for underlying generalities that we may use to guide our work
going forward. We may notice multiple occurrences of certain clases of
problems cropping up, which often means that there is some underlying
more general problem which if solved would produce broad benefits.

Thanks,

--
Dean Willis

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip