Subject: RE: Summary of RE: [Sip] Comment, SIP Privacy draft

From: "Mark Watson"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:04:19 +0100

Brian wrote:

> To me, the service that breaks with anonymous From/To is
> the ability to call me.  If my phone rings, and the "From"
> which is displayed says "anonymous", I'm not going to answer it.

Very sensible. It could be anyone!

You might answer it if the call came from a Service Provider that you
trusted, and that Service Provider had mechanisms to verify and record the
identity of the caller, and to pass that identifier to the authorities if
the call turns out to be malicious.

There is always a balance between the desire of the caller to remain
anonymous and of the called party to reject anonymous calls. Without an
intermediary then the balance gets tipped completely to one side or the
other.

> I'll probably instruct my voicemail service to do the same.
> The Police Tip line might very well accept such calls however.
> 
> I'm reminded of the practices of some Hollywood types that
> block Caller-Id, but won't accept calls that don't provide
> Caller-Id!
>

---

From: Chris Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:51:40 -0500

> Mark Watson wrote:
> trusted, and that Service Provider had mechanisms to verify and record
> the identity of the caller, and to pass that identifier to the
> authorities if the call turns out to be malicious.

Speaking in terms of service provider, maybe that is where additional
headers should be required (Between B2BUA and/or SP/enterprise sip
proxies, rather than endpoints, for the interdomain traffic, in order to
hand off the "true" identity. Since hosts of service providers would
need to go through the registration and authentication process prior to
initiating sessions (for that point the SP customer would have to go
through a sign up for services process prior to be allowed to register).

> anonymous and of the called party to reject anonymous calls. Without
> an intermediary then the balance gets tipped completely to one side or
> the other.
> 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip