Subject: [Sip] new I-Ds on privacy and identity

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:39:28 -0500

Sorry for the cross-post.

I've submitted some new Internet-Drafts on SIP privacy and identity. I hope
that these drafts can serve as a good starting point for discussion about
long-term cryptographic approaches to privacy and identity that will be
generally serviceable for the SIP protocol. As Dean's note to the SIP WG
list suggested, they are now available on softarmor.

Any comments on the drafts would be appreciated, and I hope we'll have a
chance to discuss them at the interim meeting.

The abstracts of the two drafts follow:

Privacy: This document defines new mechanisms for the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) in support of privacy. Specifically, guidelines are provided
for the creation of messages that do not divulge personal identity
information. A new "privacy service" logical role for intermediaries is
defined to answer some privacy requirements that user agents cannot satisfy
themselves. Finally, means are presented by which a user can request
particular functions from a privacy service. 

Identity: The existing mechanisms for expressing identity in the Session
Initiation Protocol do not currently permit an administrative domain to
securely verify the identity of the originator of a request. This document
recommends practices and conventions for authenticating end users, and
proposes a way to distribute secure authenticated identities within SIP
messages. 

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip