Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-09 and the offer/answer model

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:03:42 +0200

The latest version of the SIP draft contains the following text:

"The offer/answer model defines restrictions on when offers and answers 
can be made. This results in restrictions on where the offers and 
answers can appear in SIP messages. In this specification, offers and 
answers can only appear in INVITE requests and responses, and ACK. The 
usage of offers and answers is further restricted."

The first sentence states that the offer/answer model defines when offers
and answers can be made. From draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-offer-answer-02, it
does not really become clear that this is the case. Which restrictions 
are being referred to?

Regards,

Frank

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:57:39 -0400

> does not really become clear that this is the case. Which restrictions 

Its referring to this paragraph:

At any time, either agent MAY generate a new offer that updates the
    session. However, it MUST NOT generate a new offer if it has received
    an offer which it has not yet answered or rejected. Furthermore, it
    MUST NOT generate a new offer if it has generated a prior offer for
    which it has not yet received an answer or a rejection. If an agent
    receives an offer after having sent one, but before receiving an
    answer to it, this is considered a "glare" condition.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip