Subject: RE: [Sip] subscribe - event package

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:33:06 -0400

I already responded to this personally (actually, I attempted to pare
the distribution back to sip-implementors, but later realized that it
bounced). I'll repeat the answer here in an attemtp to prevent a
dogpile of answers.

What you seem to want is an event package that will inform you when the
called user's dialog state transitions to idle. There is work ongoing
to define a package that gives you exactly this information; see
draft-rosenberg-sip-call-package-01.txt.

Note that, in the most common case, the subscription will actually
be sent to the called party, not to a proxy; keep in mind that
SIP doesn't actually require a server to be in the call path for
all calls.

/a

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Willis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 15:50
To: 'Ranjit Avasarala'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] subscribe - event package

Perhaps the "presence" event package (see SIMPLE wg)  would suffice for your
needs?

really, what you want to subscribe to is the availability of B, which is
probably not known by your server but may be known by B's server.

--
dean

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ranjit
Avasarala
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 5:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] subscribe - event package

Hi

    This is with ref to draft-ietf-sip-events-05.txt

    I have a doubt in the implementation of events template package. What
should this package contain. Say I am implementing the call waiting feature
on Server 

Now A calls B and B is busy. So i get a Busy Here msg to A. Then I can
SUBSCRIBE a event on my server and ask it to NOTIFY me when B is Free. 

so any suggestions?

Thanks
Ranjit

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:58:31 -0400

Adam  is right, the dialog package is exactly the right thing. It now 
exists as a standalone I-D:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-dialog-package-00.txt

which should appear in the I-D archives sometime this week.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com