Subject: Re: [Sip] Question about URI parameter "user" and URI Comparison in bis-09

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:21:58 +0530

Hi Eiji,
     As a registrar you are expected to canonicalize the
To header URL before storing it as the address-of-record in
your location service. Similarly, when a request is received
by your proxy, it should canonicalize the Request-URI before
looking it up in the location-service. Canonicalizing the address
involves removal of all URL parameters (including the URI parameters).
In other words, the address-of-record in your case should just be
<[email-masked]> irrespective of whether the user registers as
<[email-masked]> or <[email-masked];user=phone>

Ref: Lines 1704-1708 for Registrar behaviour and  Lines 2558-2560
that describes the proxy behaviour with respect to the above.

Regards,
Subhash Nayak
Hughes Software Systems
http://www.hssworld.com

Eiji Tomimura <[email-masked]> on 06/21/2002 06:26:45 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Subhash Ullal Nayak/HSSBLR)

Subject:  [Sip] Question about URI parameter "user" and URI Comparison  in
      bis-09

Dear all,

I have a question regarding "user" URI parameter and URI comparison
described in section 19.1.4 of bis-09

In section 19.1.1, it says that if user of SIP-URI is a telephone number,
user parameter value "phone" should be present.

In section 19.1.4, in case of comparison of two SIP-URIs, if user URI
parameter appears in only one URI, they never match.

It means, <[email-masked]> and <[email-masked];user=phone> is not
equivalent.

---
Consider if the location server follows the logic in 19.1.4.

If SIP-UA-a register its address-of-record with user URI parameter (i.e.,
<[email-masked];user=phone>), and SIP-UA-b send INVITE without user URI
parameter(i.e. <[email-masked]>), it would receive "404 Not Found"
error,
because of no matching due to the existence of user URI parameter.

How could we solve this scenario. Off course, SIP-UA-a could register both
SIP-URI with and without user URI parameter, but I think the spec does not
request to do so.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards,
- Eiji Tomimura

--
Eiji Tomimura
Senior Engineer
Communications Technology Dept., Information Technology R&D Laboratories
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
Phone: +81-6-6466-5643  Fax: +81-6-6466-5732  Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip