Subject: Re: [Sip] SIP WGLC of draft-ietf-sip-asserted-identity

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 08:39:49 +0300

Jonathan Rosenberg writes:

 > If
 > there is a P-Asserted-Identity header present, and it contains a SIP or
 > SIP URI from an untrusted source, the proxy MAY replace that SIP or SIPS
 > URI with a single SIP or SIP URI.

i don't agree with the replacement in case the message comes from an ua,
since if an ua adds an identity there is a some reason for it and if the
identity is not what the proxy expects it to be, it should either refuse
the request or remove the identity, but not to change it to something
else without the user knowing it.

but it looks like i'm the only one left on this list that still believes
that the user should also have some rights left ...

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 02:09:16 -0400

> else without the user knowing it.

Yes, I agree. The above is only in the case where you are still using
the P-Asserted-Identity to support the hint. I have proposed in another
mail NOT to do that, and to use a different header. In that case, you
would never change a P-Asserted-ID; it'd be stripped at ingress if
present, and a new one added with the authentivated identity. In the
case where the user suggests a hint that does not correspond to a valid
authenticated identity, I think its reasonable for the proxy to reject
the request. Of course the hint itself needs to be stripped too.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com