Subject: Re: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-asserted-identity-01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:40:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/02 1:54:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> another application is a user having two telephone numbers, one for
> private and another for company use.  when he makes a call, he chooses
> which "line" to use so that the right calling party number will get
> charged.  there is still only one username/password.  
> 
> 

Absolutely correct and a valid application. In my house, served by a real 
telephone company, we have two telephone lines, each with a different number 
and each with a different billing plan for local and long distance service. 
Depending on which phone I pick up and dial, I get different rates.

If this were supported with SIP, I can certainly see the possibility that I 
would have a single device (the computer I'm looking at?) and I need to 
specify which identity I want to use to originate a call, which may affect 
the rate I pay and the way the call is handled and the identity that gets 
delivered (or not) to the other end and whether or not I get a priority 
service, etc.

Incidentally, IMO, watching comments flung back and forth for months, Juha 
appears to have a good understanding of what an "operator" needs, unlike some 
others who have been commenting on the subject.

Mike Pierce
Artel (sitting at home)