Subject: Re: [Sip] Comments on draft-ietf-sip-asserted-identity-00

From: Chris Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 15:46:51 -0500

Ben Campbell wrote:
> 
> Some comments/questions:
> 
> > If a UA is part of the Trust Domain from which it received a message
> >    containing a P-Asserted-Identity header field, then it can use the
> >    value freely but it MUST ensure that it does not forward the
> >    information to any element that is not part of the Trust Domain.
> >
> 
> Does this in any way depend on a request for privacy? Or do we place a
> stronger burden on a UAS than on a proxy for non-sharing of asserted
> identity?

A proxy is a UAS right?

> (OK, just one question)

If the UA is part of a trust domain doesnt that imply that it has an
intermediary UAS. If so wouldnt that UAS be the element responsible for
forwarding/not forwarding/enforce the information relayed to elements
outside the Trust Domain?

Chris

> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Ben.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:59:22 -0500

>>stronger burden on a UAS than on a proxy for non-sharing of asserted

Actually, no, a UAS is the endpoint receiving and responding to the 
request, i.e. the final server side of the transaction. (For end-to-end 
responses, at least.)

> outside the Trust Domain?

Assuming you mean proxy when you write UAS, there is no such impication. 
You could have a trivial trust domain that just includes a UAC and UAS, 
with no proxies. But your second sentence is true (again, assuming you 
meant to say proxy.) if privacy is requested.

My comment was directed to the fact that a proxy _can_ forward the AI to 
non-trusted nodes if privacy is _not_ requested. But unless I read 
wrong, a UA cannot do so even if privacy is not requested. This has 
implications for certain UA types (like PSTN gateways)

---

From: Chris Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 08:07:03 -0500

> meant to say proxy.) if privacy is requested.

Thanks. and yes, that was what I meant.  :^)