Subject: Re: [Sip] draft-schulzrinne-sip-bind

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 13:59:35 -0400

One more comment based on further thought and side discussions: While 
one-time URIs are part of the requirements doc, they have a number of 
problems. For example, does this mean that a server can only hand out 
this URI once? What if the client never uses it? How does this interact 
with caching? This adds state complexity and requires transaction-like 
behavior (what if the server crashes just between handing out the 
binding and removing it?).

I would be interested to hear about the problem this feature is supposed 
to solve. One-time URIs are not found elsewhere, from my understanding. 
A web server, say, could always enforce this implicitly, by removing the 
resource addressed by the URI after the first access, but I'm having a 
hard time seeing how this can be done in practice, given that the web 
server won't know how many instances of the AoR will need this information.

James Undery wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I generally like this draft, although would like to suggest a change. 
> 
> Having "expires=1" a special value isn't very clean, a "usagecount"
> parameter that shows how many times a URL will be valid for seems much
> more flexible. The combination of usagecount and expires would also
> allow for a one-shot URL that's valid for 60 seconds say, i.e. Binding:
> <http://www.example.com/OneTimeToken?12345> ;disposition=token
> ;expires=60 ;usagecount=1
> 
> James
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip