Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-sctp-03.txt: comment on unordered delivery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:11:22 +0530

Hi,

In section 4.1 Mapping of SIP Transactions into Streams,
it says
"..a SIP entity SHOULD send every SIP message
   (request or response) over stream zero with the unordered flag set..."

Are there no SIP extensions which may require ordered delivery  from
SCTP(sip-isup mapping for instance)?
or is the 'SHOULD'  supposed to accommodate such exceptions?

Later in the same section, it is said "..Some applications introduce an
extra layer between the transport
   layer and SIP (e.g., compression and/or encryption). This extra layer
   sometimes requires ordered delivery of messages from the transport
   layer (e.g., TLS [6])."

The section then recommends using same stream for maintaining
sequence...but no mention is made about whether the unordered flag should
be set or not. To maintain sequence, in addition to choosing the same
stream, will it not be required that messages be also sent in sequence
within a stream(by not setting the unordered flag)?

regards
Harsh Bhondwe
Hughes Software Systems

This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited (HSS) and is
intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  It
may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.  If
you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  HSS accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email
including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:08:20 +0300

Hi,

By reading the paragraph you refer to, it is pretty clear that the
unordered flag should not be set in the case you are talking about.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo