Subject: [Sip] Question about Redirect Server

From: Idnani Ajaykumar-AIDNANI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:52:36 -0600

Hi All,
 
I have a very simple question about the operation of Redirect Servers. Me
and colleague out here can not seem to convince each other on this, so I
thought I will email all the SIP experts here :-).
 
When a Redirect Server gets a request, it is supposed to return back the
Contacts for the called party. Where does it pick the address of the called
party from. Is it the To address or the Request-URI? The assumption here is
that the Redirect Server is co-located with the Registrar, and has access to
the database of the Registrar. When the Redirect Server is searching within
this database, what does it use as the key for searching - To Address or the
Request-URI.
 
Appreciate your help.
 
Thanks and Regards
- Ajay

---

From: Prasanna Venkatesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:35:30 +0530

Hi,
As per the RFC-3261 on the first hop it is expected that the To and the
Request-URI are same.  In this case your query does not have any problem.
If some intermediate proxy has changed the request-URI then, the request-uri
being the latest should be used to search the registrar.  However it depends
on the design of the registry database also.
If the database caters only to one domain, then just the user part of the
request-uri is taken and the address can be resolved.
If the database caters to more than one domain, and if by chance the host
part of the request-uri is an IP then, the host part of the To along with
the user part of the request-uri is taken as the key.
Cheers,
Prasanna

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Idnani
Ajaykumar-AIDNANI1
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 8:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Question about Redirect Server

Hi All,

I have a very simple question about the operation of Redirect Servers. Me
and colleague out here can not seem to convince each other on this, so I
thought I will email all the SIP experts here J.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks and Regards
- Ajay

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:50:01 -0500

This answer is not accurate.

Servers always use the request URI in determining next hops, looking up 
in registration databases, and so on. The To and request-uri can be 
divergent at the very first hop due to security concerns, for example.

Furthermore, a server can only perform a location database lookup on the 
request uri if it is authoritatively responsible for the domain in the 
request uri.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com