Subject: [Sip] TCP sides and TLS sides

From: "James Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:53:49 +0000

Hi,
When implementing TLS as a secure means of communications for "sips" scheme, 
I have the following question:
Does the TCP client has to be (or can I assume it is) the TLS client in the 
handshake process?
Can it be that a TCP client will assume the role of a TLS server in the 
handshake process (or vice versa)?

Thanks in Advance,
James S. Ford.

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online 
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 2003 09:48:28 -0800

"James Ford" <[email-masked]> writes:
> When implementing TLS as a secure means of communications for "sips"
> scheme, I have the following question:
> 
> Does the TCP client has to be (or can I assume it is) the TLS client
> in the handshake process?
The concept of TCP client isn't necessarily as clear as one might like
since the TCP specification allows for simultaneous open. RFC 793 in
fact doesn't even contain the word "client".

Which TLS peer takes the role of "client" must be specified by the
TLS-using protocol. However, in most cases one party does the TCP
active OPEN and that's the TLS client and the other does the TCP
passive OPEN and that's the TLS server.

You could, however, write a protocol that specified things
differently. SIPS is not such a protocol.

-Ekr

-- 
[Eric Rescorla                                   [email-masked]]
                http://www.rtfm.com/