Subject: [Sip] Question draft-miller-sip-isup-annex-00.txt

From: "Jesske, R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:41:32 +0100

Hi,
In a Mail regarding the issue: "Re: [Sip] INFO considered harmful" you pointed to a draft regarding a textual representation of SS7 in SIP INFO.
After a short view at your draft I'm confused now. You are describing for SS7 Blocking (BLO) messages a text description to transport BLO over a SIP network. Why?
The SS7 BLO/UBL Messages are only exchanged between two exchanges within the SS7 world to say the circuits are now blocked/unblocked. Within SIP there are no Circuits, why do you need such kind of messages within the SIP world. 

Best Regards

Roland

Deutsche Telekom AG
T Com Zentrale
Roland Jesske, T38a12
Section T38; Signalling, Gateways and Switching Systems 
Am Kavalleriesand 3, 64295 Darmstadt, Germany
Phone:  +49 6151 83-5940 
Fax:    +49 6151 83-4577 
 <mailto:[email-masked]>

Well, any illusion of reasonableness I may have garnered in the past is
about to be shattered.  I would refer folks to:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-miller-sip-isup-annex-00.txt

This draft is about to receive a major -01 update that recodes the entire
syntax in XML.  In addition, we (I) have another draft that does something
very similar for ANSI TCAP that I'll be submitting in short order.  I guess
its only appropriate that I bring peoples attention to these drafts under
the current subject heading...

FM

Frank W. Miller, Ph.D.
Chief Technical Officer
sentitO Networks, Inc.
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Frank W. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:51:07 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesske, R" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Poetzl, Joachim" <[email-masked]>; "Tolksdorf, Christian"
<[email-masked]>; "Alexeitsev, D" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; "Pinker, Gerold" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: Question draft-miller-sip-isup-annex-00.txt

> In a Mail regarding the issue: "Re: [Sip] INFO considered harmful" you
pointed to a draft regarding a textual representation of SS7 in SIP INFO.
> After a short view at your draft I'm confused now. You are describing for
SS7 Blocking (BLO) messages a text description to transport BLO over a SIP
network. Why?
> The SS7 BLO/UBL Messages are only exchanged between two exchanges within
the SS7 world to say the circuits are now blocked/unblocked. Within SIP
there are no Circuits, why do you need such kind of messages within the SIP
world.

We're seeing an architectural evolution whereby TDM access lines like T's in
the U.S. are are terminated at the access point in favor of SIP controlled
transport.  What this does is inject SIP "islands" in an existing TDM access
delivery network.  The key to this work (the ISUP and recently release TCAP
drafts) is to prevent those "islands" from having to deal with any kind of
SS7 binary protocol (read pay for SS7 stacks) inside the SIP "island".  Its
strictly a cost argument.  The idea is that existing SS7 elements can still
be used to provision channels but the SIP "islands" don't have to pay for an
SS7 (both $$ and point codes, whose name space is more congested the IPV4).

If you have some specific implementation level questions, I suggest we take
the discussion off the IETF board...

FM