Subject: Repost: [Sip] Buggy example in RFC 3261

From: Peter Päppinghaus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:43:48 +0100

I have posted this earlier, but it seems to have gone
unnoticed.

Hi,

I believe to have stumbled on a buggy example in RFC 3261.

The 200 OK in the REGISTER example of RFC 3261, sec. 24.1 contains
an Expires header, but no expires parameter in the Contact header.

This violates RFC 3261, sec. 10.3, bullet 8:
"Each Contact value MUST feature an "expires" parameter
   indicating its expiration interval chosen by the registrar."

Regards,

Peter Paeppinghaus

-- 
Dr. Peter Päppinghaus
Siemens AG            | Phone:    +49 89 - 722 40065
ICM N PG U ID A1      | Fax:      +49 89 - 722 58726
Hofmannstr. 51        | Visitors: Building 1713 / Room 714
D - 81359 München     | Email:    [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 00:00:59 -0500

Sorry for not responding. I did notice this. There is an error here, as 
you point out. What is NOT clear is whether the error is in the example, 
or in the normative text. For REGISTER requests, you can use either the 
Expires header field or the expires contact header field parameter. It 
seems odd that this same rule would not apply to REGISTER responses. My 
personal recollection was that either the Expires header field or the 
expires contact param was OK for either request or response. This 
doesn't match the normative text though.

Does anyone use the Expires header field and NOT the expires contact 
param in REGISTER responses?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 00:02:13 -0500

PS, a bugzilla bug was logged against this some time back:
http://www.sipwg.org/sipwg/show_bug.cgi?id=682

-Jonathan R.