Subject: [Sip] Can a proxy generate CANCEL?

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:09:49 +0800

Dear all:

On p.53 of 3261, it states that:

"CANCEL requests can be constructed and sent by both proxies and user agent
clients."

But on p.92 of 3261, it states that:

"The proxy SHOULD NOT initiate a CANCEL request."

In many other places of the spec, proxies are able and required to generate
CANCEL request in some scenarios.  Therefore, is the sentence on p.92 a
typo?  Or am I missing the hidden meaning of it?

Thanks very much in advance.

Patrick Lam

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 08:58:26 -0500

Patrick -

You are more likely to get quick answers to these kinds of questions if
you ask them on the sip-implementor's list. See  

http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/sip-implementors

> typo?  Or am I missing the hidden meaning of it?

You need to read the sentences that come right before it as well. This
paragraph talks about proxies making a transition between being 
transaction stateful and transaction stateless - a proxy should not
generate a cancel when making that transition.

> Thanks very much in advance.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip