Subject: [Sip] can i change my own dialog info in mid-dialog?

From: wenkai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:33:27 +0800

Hi,
According to RFC3261, the dialog ID just include Call-id, remote tag and local tag. So, the local uri, remote uri and remote target uri are not used for dialog matching. 
After one dialog established, can a UA change his own local uri, remote uri and remote target uri?  Or, can the UA send a re-INVITE with different From-URI, To-URI and Request-URI as original INVITE's ?
I think it is permitted in RFC3261. But i am not sure.

Thanks
Kevin

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:55:43 +0300

Hi,

You must not change the To-URI and From-URI. It is true that in RFC3261
they aren't used for the dialog id, and not for the transaction id, but
in RFC2543 they WERE used for this kind of purpose, so at least for
backward compability (I guess there may be other reasons too...) you
shall not change them.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

wenkai wrote:

> Hi,According to RFC3261, the dialog ID just include Call-id, remote
> tag and local tag. So, the local uri, remote uri and remote target uri
> are not used for dialog matching.After one dialog established, can a
> UA change his own local uri, remote uri and remote target uri?  Or,
> can the UA send a re-INVITE with different From-URI, To-URI and
> Request-URI as original INVITE's ?I think it is permitted in RFC3261.
> But i am not sure. ThanksKevin

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: wenkai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:38:56 +0800

Thanks, 

But what is the "other reasons" besides backward compatibility?

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:44:16 -0400

That is the only reason.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: wenkai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:35:58 +0800

I would like make my original question more clear by dividing it into two
parts.

The first part:
"UA can change his local uri and remote uri by himself in mid-dialog.", i
think it is correct in RFC3261.

The second part:
"UA can change his request-uri by himself in mid-dialog."  Maybe we can not
do it.
RFC3261 said,  in mid-dialog, "The UAC uses the remote target and route set
to build the Request-URI".  UA can not change "remote target" and "route
set" by himself in mid-dialog.  So, UA can not change his request-uri by
himself in mid-dialog. The UA can change his request-uri by opposite UA's
instruction.

I ask this question because request-uri can be used as service
identification. If UA can change the request-uri by itself, so UA can use
request-uri to carry different service request during mid-dialog. Maybe we
can use parameters to achieve this target.