Subject: [Sip] Referred-By, cid and and URI parameters

From: "Paul D.Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:09:03 -0000

Robert,

I believe there is a minor omission in draft-ietf-sip-referredby.  The BNF
for the Referred-By header allows the following parse "error".

Referred-By: sip:[email-masked];cid=[email-masked]

The above header might be parsed as a URI containing the URI parameter
"cid=[email-masked]", which is probably not what the referrer intended.

RFC 3261 might have had a similar issue with Contact, From and To headers
but section 20 contains the following clarification.

--- Start quote ---
The Contact, From, and To header fields contain a URI.  If the URI contains
a comma, question mark or semicolon, the URI MUST be enclosed in angle
brackets (< and >).  Any URI parameters are contained within these brackets.
If the URI is not enclosed in angle brackets, any semicolon-delimited
parameters are header-parameters, not URI parameters.
--- End quote ---

Can a similar paragraph be added to draft-ietf-sip-referredby to clarify
this "feature" of the BNF please?

Paul D.Smith.

Paul D.Smith
Network Protocols Group 
Data Connection Ltd (DCL)
Tel: +44 20 8366 1177  Email: [email-masked] 
Fax: +44 20 8363 1039  Web:   http://www.dataconnection.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip