Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'Caller Preferences for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:05:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Caller Preferences for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-callerprefs-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
  This document describes a set of extensions to the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) which allow a caller to express preferences about
   request handling in servers. These preferences include the ability to
   select which Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI) a request gets routed
   to, and to specify certain request handling directives in proxies and
   redirect servers. It does so by defining three new request header
   fields, Accept-Contact, Reject-Contact, and Request-Disposition,
   which specify the caller's preferences.

Working Group Summary

  The working group participated in very active review, and then reached
   a point of strong support of advancement.   There was a mid-course review
   started by the Applications Area Director for SIMPLE of the time, Patrik 
   Faltstrom, and continued by his successor, Ted Hardie.  This resulted in
   many clarifying changes in design, and the split of functions (proposed
   by Ted) into caller prefs in this document, and callee caps, 
   also in review. 

Protocol Quality

   There are prototypes of this specification (in earlier versions).  The 
   reviewing for the IESG was done by Allison Mankin and Ted Hardie.

RFC Editor Notes

Section 5.2

Old:

   As an example, the following Accept-Contact header field expresses a 
   desire to route a call to a mobile device:

New:

  As an example, the following Accept-Contact header field expresses a
  desire to route a call to a mobile device, using feature
  parameters taken from [3]:

Section 8

Add to the reference to RFC 2506  [13], and add to the Informative
References

[13] Holtman, K., Mutz, A. and T. Hardie, "Media Feature Tag
         Registration Procedure", BCP 31, RFC 2506, March 1999.

Section 10

Old:

           parallel-directive / queue-directive)

New:

           parallel-directive / queue-directive

Old:

          ;;feature param from RFC XXXX

New:

          ;;feature param from RFC XXXX (substitute for XXX 
          ;;the RFC number of draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps)

Section 11  Security Considerations

Old:  

The presence of caller preferences in a request has an effect on the
ways in which the request is handled at a server. As a result, it is
especially important that requests with caller preferences be
integrity-protected.

New:

The presence of caller preferences in a request has an effect on the
ways in which the request is handled at a server. As a result, requests
with caller preferences SHOULD be integrity-protected with the sips
mechanism specified in RFC 3261, Section 26.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip