Subject: [Sip] TCP connection design team?

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:54:05 -0600

Rohan/Dean:

At the Minneapolis IETF last month, we arrived at a consensus on
the SIP WG mailing list [1] that a BCP-type document should be
produced for TCP connections; more specifically, devise and/or
document means to keep TCP connections open for a longer time.
The current crop of servers do not keep connections between
transactions in any deterministic manner.  Furthermore, TCP
connection management is unclear and/or under-specified in
rfc3261.

At the San Francisco IETF (56th IETF, March 2003), I had presented
a draft [2] which extended Rohan's Connection-Reuse draft [3] to
provide for long lived connections and other related aspects.  At
that time, there wasn't sufficient interest to drive the work
beyond what was decribed in [3]; and while I agreed to
produce a BCP, it has not happened yet.

There is now, I believe, more of an interest to move this work
forward.  I've been in touch with the folks CC'd on this email,
all of whom have expressed an interest and willingness to
contribute to this work.  However, I would like to request the
chairs to officially designate a design team for this effort.  We
could always simply "go ahed and do it", but it would help
tremendously to have some official working group recognition of
the effort.  This will attract folks with actual TCP implementations
who have battled the connection reuse and longevity issues.

I would propose using [2,3] as starting points for a BCP.

I look forward to your response.

References:

[1] Thread starting with
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/sip/current/msg09007.html
[2] Requirements for persistent connection management in SIP
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jain-sipping-persistent-conn-reqs-01.txt
[3] Connection reuse in SIP
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-00.txt

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip