Subject: RE: [Sip] Encryption in SIP

From: Samir Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:26:32 -0800

Kind of curious to know if there is any commercial SIP implementation that
does S/MIME ETE encryption of signaling as well as media encryption? Since
these require digital certificates, are they suffering from similar trust
issues of CAs? Are there any self-signed certs being used?

Samir

Dr. Samir Chatterjee

School of Information Science

Claremont Graduate University

130 East 9th Street

Claremont, CA 91711

-----Original Message-----
From: Peterson, Jon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 12:03 PM
To: 'Gokul Krishnan'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Encryption in SIP

See RFC3261 Section 23, especially 23.4.1 and 23.4.3.

Jon Peterson

NeuStar, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gokul Krishnan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 3:08 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Encryption in SIP

Hi All,

A query on Encryption in SIP.

How is end-to-end encryption achieved in SIP? RFC2543 had headers -
Encryption and Response-Key. But in RFC3261 I could only see the mentioning
about hop-by-hop encryption using TL/IPSec. Please point to me to the
correct portion of RFC in case I am missing something.

Thanks

Gokul

  _____  

Do you Yahoo!?
New
<http://pa.yahoo.com/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http:/photos.yahoo.co
m>  Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:06:09 -0800

There are a few large companies that are implementing SMIME in SIP and
probably some other companies I am unaware of but it is certainly not
common. We have been doing some testing at the sip interop events. The
testing has been more around signed certs than self singed but I (and
others) have been playing with both.

Cullen

On 12/8/03 2:26 PM, "Samir Chatterjee" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> about hop-by-hop encryption using TL/IPSec. Please point to me to the correct
>> portion of RFC in case I am missing something.
>> 
>>  
>> 
>> Thanks
>> 
>> Gokul 
>> 
>> 
>> Do you Yahoo!?
>> New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing
>> <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http:/photos.yahoo.com
>> > 
>