Subject: [Sip] Question on Grid Parameter in GRUU 01.txt

From: "George Foti (QC/EMC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:32:13 -0500

Hi, 

I need some clarification for the intended usage of the grid parameter :
Quoting the draft :

 When placing a GRUU into the Contact header field of a request or
   response, a UA MAY add the "grid" URI parameter to the GRUU. This
   parameter MAY take on any value permitted by the grammar for the
   parameter, but MUST NOT exceed 128 characters. When a UA sends a
   request to the GRUU, the proxy for the domain that owns the GRUU will
   copy this parameter from the GRUU into the Contact URI matching that
   GRUU. This allows the UA to effectively manufacture an infinite
   supply of GRUU, each of which differs by the value of the "grid"
   parameter. When a UA receives a request that was sent to the GRUU, it
   will be able to tell which GRUU was invoked by the "grid" parameter.

So that means that a UA can register a single contact, get back one GRUU from the Registrar.
Then by assigning multiple grid parameters to the GRUU create an equivalent number of different contacts for that UA, the grid being the difference amongst those contacts.
 
Assuming the UA always inserts the grid with contact in its responses or initiated requests.
When the grid is received in a subsequent request, the UA uses the grid to find the intended application associated with that contact.

Is the above understanding right or am I off track.

Thanks
George Foti

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:46:26 -0500

George,

Yes, your explanation is right in line with my understanding of the intent.

	Paul

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:28:12 -0500

Yes, thats the intent. I reworded this text below a bit to clarify 
that the grid appears in the request URI (which is not obvious at all 
from the words below). That aside, is there anything that I can do to 
clarify the intent?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

>> Then by assigning multiple grid parameters to the GRUU create an 
>> equivalent number of different contacts for that UA, the grid being 
>> the difference amongst those contacts.
>>  
>> When the grid is received in a subsequent request, the UA uses the 
>> grid to find the intended application associated with that contact.
>>

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com