Subject: [sip] Comment to draft-agrawal-sip-h323-interworking-reqs-06.txt about text support

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:22:48 +0100

In section 6.1.5 of the sip-h323-interworking spec, there is a sentence:

"The IWF SHOULD be able to map the common audio, video and application
   format names supported in H.323 to and from the equivalent RTP/AVP
   [RFC3550] names."

It is good practice to always mention how the three main media of video,
audio and text shall be handled in real time applications.

audio and video are mentioned explicitly.

It may not be evident to everybody that real time interactive text is
capability declared in H.323 Annex G / H.245 by
DataApplicationCapability.application = t140

So, in fact it is covered in the sentence requiring that "application"
format namnes shall be mapped.

The mapping should correspond to the RTP/AVP  name text/t140 and
corresponding names for inclusion of protection against  loss.

I seek your guidance how it can be made more clear that "text" capabilities
can be expressed in both H.323 and SIP systems and should be mapped.

( the spec is at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-agrawal-sip-h323-interworking-reqs
-06.txt )

Regards
Gunnar
-------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor AB
Renathvägen 2
SE 121 37 Johanneshov
SWEDEN
+46 8 556 002 03
Mob: +46 708 204 288
www.omnitor.se
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip