Subject: Re: [Sip] Binary Encoding for SIP

From: Bryan Thale <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:44:06 -0600

Hi Cullen,

I'd vote for 'b', not because the idea is stupid but because it is 
unnecessary.  Why restrict the ability of the end-point service to 
choose the most efficient encoding for its purposes?  If that happens to 
be 'binary' then great, but if not, that's OK, too.

I agree with this sentiment from your draft:

> ... it is reasonable to suggest that SIP implementations send one type 
> of encoding

However, this is at odds with the ultimate recommendation of your draft:

> Devices MUST use a content transfer encoding of "binary" for MIME body 
> parts in SIP messages they send.

If the problem is that implementors are inappropriately choosing Base64 
due to lack of sufficient guidance, I would prefer to see "Devices 
SHOULD use ..." instead.  It provides the needed guidance and yet does 
not arbitrarily close doors on possible future implementations.

Bryan.

-- 
Bryan Thale
Networks & Infrastructure Research, Motorola Labs
mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:30:44 -0800

I sat for a long time looking at that one MUST and trying to decide if it
should be a SHOULD. I also avoided mentioning what Henning points is the
more interesting question of what must all UAs be willing to receive.

So I take if you would be happy to see is say that things SHOULD send binary
but need to be prepared to receive anything.

I can live with that. Fits a certain stringent in what you send, lenient in
what you receive model that I like. I doubt that implementers will be busy
to go off and implement receiving multiple different things when there is no
apparent value to doing that. It would solve my one really key issues which
is that I would like to give enough guidance on the minimum to implement
that things like S/MIME had a better chance of working together.

Cullen

---

From: Kumiko Ono <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:53:02 +0900

Hi Cullen,

I am for 'a'. However, there may be some proxy severs who have the 
capability in handling 8-bit (text) data, not binary data. There may be 
an impact on all SIP entities including proxy servers that need not 
handle S/MIME data. 

Regards,
Kumiko 

--
Kumiko Ono
NTT Network Service Systems Labs.
Tel +81 422 59 4508/Fax +81 422 60 4012