Subject: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact

From: cthakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:05:23 -0600

Hi all,
 If a UAC generates a request in Dialog (say an ACK for 200 it received),
 
 If the 200 had a Record-Route with loose routing and also a Contact 
header where should it route the request ? Can it route it directly to 
the IP/FQDN specified in the uri of Contact ? Does any header take 
precedence over other when generating a subsequent request in a Dialog ?
 Is the significance of Contact header end-to-end or between UAs. For 
the example given in the RFC 3261 (alice and bob), can the intermediate 
proxies modify the value of the Contact header in the response sent by 
Alice to Bob ?

 Thank you,

 Chintan
 ipNetFusion Inc,
 Dallas, Tx - 75080

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dusan Mudric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:28:48 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> It's my understanding that Record-Route headers take precedence over
> the IP/FQDN in the contact header of the response, as they
> (Record-Route headers) are inserted by specifically by the proxies in
> order to influence the route that subsequent messaging takes. 

Assumption is that proxy is in a Record-Route URI domain. Otherwise some
other means can be used to route a request.

> They influence, not only the route taken by the ACK, furthermore that taken
> by any subsequent requests.

Except REGISTER, which must ignore a Record-Route.

> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: cthakker [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 11 February 2004 21:05
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact
> 
> Hi all,
> For Aculab's privacy policy and E-Mail disclaimer, Click Here :
> http://www.aculab.com/company/legal_notice.htm.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:15:41 +0530

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 1:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact

It's my understanding that Record-Route headers take precedence over the
IP/FQDN in the contact header of the response, as they (Record-Route
headers) are inserted by specifically by the proxies in order to
influence the route that subsequent messaging takes. They influence, not
only the route taken by the ACK, furthermore that taken by any
subsequent requests.

[ABN] once 200 for INVITE is received it forms the Route header for
further requests sent in the same dialog. The logic to form Route header
is been clearly mentioned in the Rfc3261 and the contact information in
200-INVITE forms the Req-URI for subsequent requests. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: cthakker [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 11 February 2004 21:05 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact 

Hi all, 
 If a UAC generates a request in Dialog (say an ACK for 200 it
received), 

 Thank you, 

 Chintan 
 ipNetFusion Inc, 
 Dallas, Tx - 75080

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:56:53 -0000

I was under the impression that the Route header is to be used in order that
UAs can influence the route taken (subsequent to initial INVITE) to include
particular proxy/proxies. To me, that's what 20.34 (of 3261) implies.
 
Are you saying that somewhere in 3261 it states that the Contact info in the
200-INVITE be used to build a "Route:" header for later insertion into, for
example, an ACK request?   

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 12 February 2004 22:46
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B. 

-----Original Message-----

It's my understanding that Record-Route headers take precedence over the
IP/FQDN in the contact header of the response, as they (Record-Route
headers) are inserted by specifically by the proxies in order to influence
the route that subsequent messaging takes. They influence, not only the
route taken by the ACK, furthermore that taken by any subsequent requests.

[ABN] once 200 for INVITE is received it forms the Route header for further
requests sent in the same dialog. The logic to form Route header is been
clearly mentioned in the Rfc3261 and the contact information in 200-INVITE
forms the Req-URI for subsequent requests. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: cthakker [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: 11 February 2004 21:05 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact 

Hi all, 

 Thank you, 

 Chintan 
 ipNetFusion Inc, 
 Dallas, Tx - 75080 

<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip>  

For Aculab's privacy policy and E-Mail disclaimer, Click Here :
http://www.aculab.com/company/legal_notice.htm
<http://www.aculab.com/company/legal_notice.htm> . 

Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to
this message are intended

for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or
privileged information. If

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or
[email-masked] immediately

and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:08:53 +0530

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 1:27 PM
To: Nataraju Alilaghatta (WT01 - TELECOM & INTER-NETWORKING SOLUTIONS)
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact

I was under the impression that the Route header is to be used in order
that UAs can influence the route taken (subsequent to initial INVITE) to
include particular proxy/proxies. To me, that's what 20.34 (of 3261)
implies.

 [ABN] You are right...

Are you saying that somewhere in 3261 it states that the Contact info in
the 200-INVITE be used to build a "Route:" header for later insertion
into, for example, an ACK request?   

[ABN] No... The contact serves the initial Req-URI for subsequent
requests within dialog but then again while the finding next hop's
address Route header (if there is one) takes precedence over Req-Uri.
The top route header might modify the Req-URI if top route header is a
strict router.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 12 February 2004 22:46
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: cthakker [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 11 February 2004 21:05 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact 

Hi all, 

 Thank you, 

 Chintan 
 ipNetFusion Inc, 
 Dallas, Tx - 75080 

Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments
to this message are intended
for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential
or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or
[email-masked] immediately
and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

---

From: Anil Bollineni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:21:38 -0800

I believe Contact info is used to build a request URI and same set of URI's
in Record-Route are used to build a Route header. If there is no Contact,
the URI's in Record Route are used to build request URI.

Regards,

Anil

This email contains material that is confidential. The content of this email
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution
by persons other than the intended recipient(s) without the express
permission of NetScreen Technologies, Inc. is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete/destroy
all copies of this email and any related attachments. NetScreen does not
guarantee the accuracy or completeness of third party materials or
information.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 12 February 2004 22:46
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B. 

-----Original Message----- 
From: cthakker [mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: 11 February 2004 21:05 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [Sip] Record-Route and Contact 

Hi all, 

 Thank you, 

 Chintan 
 ipNetFusion Inc, 
 Dallas, Tx - 75080 

Confidentiality Notice