Subject: RE: [Sip] Binary Encoding for SIP

From: Raphael Tryster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:13:52 +0200

Hello Cullen,

Given that this is my first venture into the SIP email forum, and the first
response to your posting, it is only fitting that I should vote for option
c:).

During the coming year or two, I hope to develop an opinion on whether the
issues of backward compatibility and ease of debugging, which seem to make
the binary option rather unpopular in Megaco, apply to SIP as well.  If they
do, it could have an adverse affect on World Hunger, as those with the right
tools to debug binary messages will eat more, at the expense of the rest.

Raphael Tryster

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Cullen Jennings [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Sunday, 15 February 2004 9:03
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	[Sip] Binary Encoding for SIP

	I submitted a draft on binary encoding for SIP. This improves
	interoperability, improves speed, decreases sizes of messages, and
generally
	makes life better for SIP which will no doubt eventually help with
World
	Hunger. I need feedback, please let me know:

	a) Yah, lets do it

	b) No this is a stupid ideas and here are the reasons why

	c) There has not been many list comments, this draft involves some
very
	complex issues. I need a year or two to develop an opinion on the
single
	sentence inside it.

	d) I agree with Cowboy Willis

	Until it arrives in the archives, you can find it at

http://www.employees.org/~fluffy/ietf/draft-jennings-sip-mime-01.html

	or, if you prefer ASCII encodings of everything,

	www.employees.org/~fluffy/ietf/draft-jennings-sip-mime-01.txt

	Thanks, Cullen

	_______________________________________________
	Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
	This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
	Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
	Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:53:14 -0800

Hi Raphael,

Just as an FYI:  The "unpopular" encoding for H.248 is ASN.1 encoding 
of the entire protocol.  What Cullen is proposing is sending all *MIME 
bodies* in SIP as a stream of raw binary data (like HTTP). This is 
instead of sending SIP MIME bodes as a stream of base64-encoded data 
for example, which is unnecessary in modern protocols, but was required 
in email for backwards compatibility reasons.

(btw: I vote for a)

thanks,
-rohan

On Feb 15, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Raphael Tryster wrote:

> Hello Cullen,
>
> Given that this is my first venture into the SIP email forum, and the 
> first response to your posting, it is only fitting that I should vote 
> for option c:).
>
> During the coming year or two, I hope to develop an opinion on whether 
> the issues of backward compatibility and ease of debugging, which seem 
> to make the binary option rather unpopular in Megaco, apply to SIP as 
> well.  If they do, it could have an adverse affect on World Hunger, as 
> those with the right tools to debug binary messages will eat more, at 
> the expense of the rest.
>
> Raphael Tryster
>
> c) There has not been many list comments, this draft involves some very