Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-publish-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:41:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for Event State
                              Publication
	Author(s)	: A. Niemi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-publish-03.txt
	Pages		: 40
	Date		: 2004-2-16
	
This document describes an extension to the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) for publishing event state used within the framework
for SIP Event Notification. The first application of this extension
is targeted at the publication of presence information.
The mechanism described in this document can be extended to support
publication of any event state, for which there exists an appropriate
event package. It is not intended to be a general-purpose mechanism
for transport of arbitrary data, as there are better-suited
mechanisms for this purpose (FTP, HTTP, etc.)

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-publish-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-publish-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-publish-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 05:20:33 -0800

Hi Folks,

I just noticed a minor problem with publish ; it defines a new response 
code:

	412 Precondition Failed

which is confusingly similar to the existing response code:

	580 Precondition Failure

I propose changing The reason phrase for 412 to "Publication Condition 
Failed"

thanks,
-rohan

On Feb 16, 2004, at 12:41 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:58:42 +0200

Hi Rohan,

> I propose changing The reason phrase for 412 to "Publication Condition 

Good point. A question though: since we're borrowing this response code 
from HTTP, how strictly do we need to keep the reason phrases aligned? I 
assume it's enough that the semantics are the same, and the default 
reason phrase can therefore be different.

Also, to generalize, would:

	412 (Conditional Request Failed)

be better?

Cheers,
Aki

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:18:32 -0800

Hi Aki,

I'm fine with your proposal.

thx,
-r

On Feb 25, 2004, at 1:58 AM, Aki Niemi wrote:

> Hi Rohan,
>
>
>
> ext Rohan Mahy wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>> I just noticed a minor problem with publish ; it defines a new 
>> response code:
>>     412 Precondition Failed
>> I propose changing The reason phrase for 412 to "Publication 
>> Condition Failed"
>
> Good point. A question though: since we're borrowing this response 
> code from HTTP, how strictly do we need to keep the reason phrases 
> aligned? I assume it's enough that the semantics are the same, and the 
> default reason phrase can therefore be different.
>