Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-publish-02.txt comments

From: Alex Audu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:09:06 -0600

Folks,

Current version of SIP-PUBLISH  as  specified in 
draft-ietf-sip-publish-02.txt leaves out
composer policy as out-of-scope.  Can this lead to interoperability 
issues? If so, I suggest
the draft defines some basic composer policy structure.

Regards,
Alex.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:58:18 +0200

Hi,

Inline.

> the draft defines some basic composer policy structure.

You're right in that the current draft leaves composer policy (both 
defining it or setting/changing it) out-of-scope. As to whether it leads 
to interop problems, probably not as far as PUBLISH is concerned.

So any interop problems would be in terms of PIDF and what the PUA is 
expecting the watchers to see when it publishes certain tuples. So this 
is very presence specific.

And for presence, it isn't really clear yet as to how the composer would 
go about resolving conflicts among the tuples coming from different 
sources. By not doing any sort of merging or selection among the tuples 
might work, so the default policy could be that a composer simply passes 
all tuples to watchers intact.

But I don't know how helpful, or indeed what the proper way to state 
this default policy would be. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Aki