Subject: [Sip] Updated gruu I-D

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:42:16 -0500

Folks,

I've just submitted an update to the GRUU specification. Until it 
appears in the archives, you can find it at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-gruu-01.txt

The differences are:

* removed requirement that the gruu be constructed in such a way that
the contact and/or AOR can be determined from it

* indicate that a gruu can be obtained by the register mechanisms in
the specification, but that other mechanisms are also possible

* The gruu is now associated with the instance ID of the UA. The
instance ID is defined as a callee capability parameter. The
specification now includes a UML diagram showing the relationships
between GRUU, AOR, Contact URI and instance ID.

* Added registration of the sip.instance media feature tag

The biggest change is the third. Indeed, it seems like we have three 
drafts this round that discuss instance identifiers in SIP:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-gruu-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-sipping-instance-id-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stucker-sip-guid-00.txt

all three are similar. Mine uses a contact header field parameter, and 
uses the callee capabilities framework to enable caller preferences 
routing based on instance iDs. Cullen also uses a contact parameter, but 
not within the callee caps framework. Brian defines a header field. I'll 
post a separate not starting a thread on the pros and cons of the 
various approaches.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip