Subject: [Sip] draft-takeda-symmetric-nat-traversal ??

From: Vikram Bhuskute <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:41:39 +0530

Hello all,
            While searching for NAT traversal solution i came across a 
draft  "draft-takeda-symmetric-nat-traversal-00.txt"
            from url ( 
http://cnscenter.future.co.kr/resource/ietf/ind-draft/draft-takeda-symmetric-nat-traversal-00.txt)

           It proposes some solution for Symmetric NAT based on some 
Prediction .....?  It dosent seem reliable ... !!!
          (however it gives  glimps on type of Symmetric NATs )
 
           Is it still a matter of further research ? or the concept  is 
not well accepted ?

          thanks in advance

 vikram

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:09:30 -0700

Thanks for bringing that I-D to the group's attention.  I, for one, hadn't
seen it.

Section 8.1 is where the meat is, and it says:

   ...
   If
   the port allocation rule of the other endpoint is a symmetric type,
   the endpoint needs either to record the source port number of an
   incoming packet or to predict a port number that the symmetric NAT
   will assign, with a MAPPED-ADDRESS obtained from the other endpoint.
   ...

which I agree isn't a good mechanism, especially with a large NAT.  It
could work just fine on a small, residential NAT which isn't processing
much new traffic (and thus it is, in theory, possible to guess the next
port number it will assign for the next mapping).

This technique is too fragile for my blood.

There is a lot of other good information in this Internet Draft, though;
I hope we can incorporate some of it into the BEHAVE work if the author
is willing.

-d

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Vikram Bhuskute
> Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 4:12 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sip] draft-takeda-symmetric-nat-traversal ??
>
>
> Hello all,