Subject: [Sip] STUN server Misleads !

From: Vikram Bhuskute <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:20:33 +0530

Helo all,
          I am using an open stun client. It  helped me a lot . But 
there is problem.
        one out of  five times my stun gives me wrong type of NAT !! 
When i traced the packets ..
         .i found it is not my client's faul  server itself is 
responisble for that.

         e.g. I was behind port restricted NAT and still i got different 
binding for Test 1.2
          (request to other IP of STUN server)
         and my client  concluded from protocol that it is Symmetric NAT.

          I tried 5-6 STUN server i could found. but same problem

         Is it a known issue ? Is any STUN server is bug free ?

         regards

         vikram

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:59:46 -0400

Vikram,

The problem may lie in the fact that RFC 3489's definition of NAT types 
is known to be outdated. In particular, some NATs are known to exhibit 
different behaviors based on whether the source port is in use or not. See:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-midcom-stun-results-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-audet-nat-behave-00.txt

-Jonathan R.

Vikram Bhuskute wrote:

> Helo all,
>          I am using an open stun client. It  helped me a lot . But there 
> is problem.
>        one out of  five times my stun gives me wrong type of NAT !! When 
> i traced the packets ..

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com