Subject: [Sip] Comments on draft-ietf-sip-identity-03

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:47:33 +0000

Jon,

A couple of comments:

1. The last requirement "It must be possible, in cases where a request has
been retargeted to a different AoR than the one designated in the To header
field, for the UAC to ascertain the AoR to which the request has been sent"
seems to a  remnant from the previous draft. I believe it relates to
identity in responses.

2. It would be useful to include some statements about how the new mechanism
might be used in situations where the UAS is a gateway to a legacy network.
Here the gateway may provide an authentication service for numbers supplied
by the legacy network, e.g.,
for [email-masked].
Alternatively a proxy that has authenticated the gateway might provide an
authentication service, e.g., for [email-masked].

John ([email-masked])

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:37:00 -0500

Thanks for the read, John. Agreed that the last requirement is left over
from previous versions and should be removed. 

In terms of your second point, I agree that would be useful. I was planning,
providing that sip-identity-0x passes, on doing yet still more further work
to show how it could be used in PSTN interworking in a separate draft. Some
details of the SIP-ISUP mapping, no doubt, are impacted by this. The focus
of that draft would be on preventing Caller-ID spoofing from SIP-originated
calls (which is the SIP->PSTN case), though I agree there are probably a few
things to say there about the PSTN->SIP case. So, I don't specifically think
we need that to be in this draft, but I agree it needs to be done at some
point.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elwell, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 1:48 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-sip-identity-03

Jon, 

A couple of comments: 

for [email-masked]. Alternatively a proxy that has
authenticated the gateway might provide an authentication service, e.g., for
[email-masked].