Subject: [Sip] Comments on sip-identity-03

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:32:21 -0500

Hi,

I read the draft and it looks reasonable. One comment though: in section 
6 there is a recommended policy which instructs matching the username 
asserted in the Digest authentication to the From header field.

I think this needs clarification. Someone might read it to mean the 
contents of the username param is being matched, which I'm assuming is 
not the intention. Rather, it should say that the account's URI for 
which the username/passwd is for is matched against the URI in the From.

In addition, the section contains text about aliases and matching those 
usernames, where this passage was quite hard to parse:

    Accordingly, provided
    the authentication service is aware of the relationships between
    these accounts, it might allow a user providing credentials for one
    account to assert a username associated with another account
    controlled by the user name.

I think I got the idea, but rephrasing it would be in order.

Cheers,
Aki

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:56:49 -0500

Thanks Aki. You are correct that we are not suggesting that the Digest
username match as a literal the username in the local-part of the URI in the
>From header. I mean, I guess that's possible, but certainly not necessary.
What we intend is that an authentication service might persist some mapping
between a Digest username and one or more potential local-parts which are
authorized to appear in the From header field value for that user. I will
attempt to free to language you cite below from the shackles of confusion.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Aki Niemi [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 1:32 PM
> To: SIP WG
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Comments on sip-identity-03
> 
> 
> Hi,
>