Subject: Re: [Sip] Event Lists: Back-End Credentials

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:01:58 -0500

Its worth noting that this issue has come up in the context of 3gpp, 
where it is actually even harder of a problem than it is here. I suggest 
  folks read section 12.1 of RFC 3725.

Basically, what is says is that delegation is a hard problem, we don't 
have a solution for it. So, in the interim, the 3pcc controller set the 
 From in a specific way in order to be usable in applications which 
(perhaps sadly) don't authenticate. And that's it.

I'm not sure if precedent of past acceptability of this kind of 
statement can help us, but at least there is a precedent.

-Jonathan R.

Adam Roach wrote:

> [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>>
>>> A consequence of this is that, lacking any other mechanism, the 
>>> resources in a resource list for which the RLS is not authoritative 
>>> will contain only the information that their notifier is willing to 
>>> reveal to the RLS -- which is generally the same information they 
>>> would render to unauthenticated users. In some cases, this might 
>>> result in no useful information being transferred.
>>>   
>>
>>
>> This limitation by itself kills the idea, IMO. Most presence lists 
>> will rely on the event list, and if its gonna mean that no useful 
>> information will come to the watcher, then the whole mecahnism is 
>> useless.
>>  
>>
> 
> That's a bit of a strong characterization, and it seems to ignore the 
> remainder of the mail that I sent out; specifically:
> 
>   1. Users have the ability to subscribe to any resources that the RLS
>      marks itself as non-authoritative, and
>   2. (More Importantly) Provisions for delegation of authority are
>      included -- they're just not in-scope for this document.
> 
> /a
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:01:11 -0500

> Its worth noting that this issue has come up in the context of 3gpp, 

Oops - s/3gpp/3pcc