Subject: [Sip] comment on draft-ietf-sip-sctp-06.txt

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:31:52 +0300

draft-ietf-sip-sctp-06.txt has a note:

Note that the value "tls", defined by RFC 3261, is intended for TLS over
TCP.

on the other hand 26.2.2 of rfc3261 has a note:

The use of transport=tls has consequently been deprecated, partly
because it was specific to a single hop of the request.

so if a transport parameter indicating tls over tcp has been deprecated,
why do we now need a transport parameter indicating tls over sctp?  what
makes sctp in this regards special as compared to tcp?

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:40:09 -0500

> makes sctp in this regards special as compared to tcp?

I wish I knew.

I'd like to ask Jon Peterson to comment, as I think he contributed that 
line of deprecation to 3261. Then again, it was debated during a 
conference call at 3:00 AM as I was attending a 3GPP meeting in Sophia 
Antipolis, so I might remember wrong.

But in any case, it's a good question.

--
Dean