Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-mib-09.txt - 'MIB Doctor' review

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:47:50 +0300

Here are my review comments. I apologize for the delay, but
unfortunately the document is not yet completely problems free, and it
generated some discussions 'in the doctors room':
 
A few issues were found related to the definition of the
SipMethodIdentifier TC and its usage:
 
1.  The way it is defined the TC encourages extensibility, and this can
be regarded as a good thing. In order to do this a vendor must invent
some numerical assignment, which is not yet used by the standard, and
the DESCRIPTION requires that this assignment "MUST ensure no collision
with officially assigned method identifier values" but says nothing
about how collision can be avoided. It would be useful to split the
identifiers numbers space into standard and experimental, and create a
second experimental registry where vendors building an extension method
and receive a number in the experimental space. This would ensure that
collisions are avoided, and experimental methods are identified at a
glance.
2. Another MIB Doctor asked 'why the method name has not been used as an
index as this would be the natural naming scheme. Having to go through a
lookup table (in case the SipMethodIdentifier has only local
significance) is painful and the alternative to establish another IANA
registry to number the SIP methods seems also kind of costly.'. I am not
sure that a change is necessary at this stage, as nothing is broken, but
as I would suggest that you provide a rationale for this design choice. 
3. The TC misses a DISPLAY-HINT (probably "d"), which results into a
smilint warning 
 
Some more editorial things. 
 
4. Since the document was published the Intellectual Property
boilerplates were updated. See
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt for the latest version
5. It is recommended that the module name of the SIP-TC module be
changed to SIP-TC-MIB
6. typo - DESCRIPTION clause of SipStatusCodeNotifTable - "seperate"
7. typo - DESCRIPTION clause of SipMethodIdentifier - "extention"
8. typo - DESCRIPTION clause of sipServiceNotifEnable - "approriate"
9. type - DESCRIPTION clause of sipServiceWarmStart - "adminstrative"
10. There are 129 instances of too long lines in this documents. Please
run idnits for the full list
http://ietf.levkowetz.com/tools/idnits/idnits.pyht
11. Warnings of weird spacing in lines 
tmp/draft-ietf-sip-mib-09.txt(4495): Line has weird spacing: '...CodeIns
rena...'
tmp/draft-ietf-sip-mib-09.txt(4496): Line has weird spacing: '...odeOuts
renam...'
tmp/draft-ietf-sip-mib-09.txt(4789): Line has weird spacing: '...odTable
in th...'
12. As Section 8 including the Log of Changes will be taken out, but
there are other sections after this section it would be better to move
it to an annex and renumber, making sure that proper references from the
text go to the intended place.
 
Regards,
 
Dan

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip