Subject: [Sip] New Location Conveyance ID -01

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:18:04 -0500

SIP WG

I have updated the SIP Location Conveyance ID at the following link:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance-01.txt

There are many changes to this version from the previous (1 month old) version.

Here is a short list of those changes:

- rewrote/rearranged much of the middle of the doc,
- adding Reqs that have been brought to my attention,
- adding a new header to solve many scenarios presented - needing a solution,
- bringing up the 424 and 425 Response code sections to the beginning of 
the solution portion of the ID for clarity,
- moving most of the XML portions of the message flows back to 10 
incomplete appendixes.
- I also give two examples of the same position on the earth (my house) in 
geo and civic to show the PIDF-LO (between the status lines only).
- I spent a great deal of time walking the reader through expected 
behaviors of each SIP element in each scenario (this is the request, here 
is a viable 200 OK, now here are the alternative responses and what each 
significant header accomplishes - other than the Call-ID, CSeq, Via, and 
the other "normal" ones).

This new header is (surprisingly) called "Location" - with an admittedly 
incomplete ABNF (sorry). This header currently has many option-tags 
defined, some indicating what format the location is in from the message, 
others indicating what format is desired to receive back from the query for 
the UAC's location (see the new OPTIONS and SUB/NOT sections for this), one 
indicates location is in the message - even if a particular intermediary 
cannot decrypt it. A CID pointing at which message body is location is also 
possible now in a SIP Request, as well as allowing for location conveyance 
by-reference. This last new capability has limitations that are discussed, 
though I do not believe I have addressed yet all the limitations of this 
approach.

Comments to the SIP list are appreciated

cheers,
James

                                 *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip