Subject: [Sip] pgp authentication

From: Dave Brondsema <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:40:06 -0400

Why was pgp authentication removed in rfc3261?  A note mentions "PGP
MIME" is more complete, but I can't find any other RFC with a
WWW-Authentication scheme for PGP.  What is the recommended way to
implement WWW-Authentication using PGP?

Thanks!

--
Dave Brondsema : [email-masked]
http://www.splike.com : programming
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
                <><
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dave Brondsema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:04:12 -0400

Is there a better place to ask this?

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:50:33 -0500

The short answer is that we removed it because it was unimplemented, 
incompletely specified, appeared to have no current constituency, and 
we didn't have time to deal with it in SIP.

There's a writeup on using PEM and PGP with Apache for authentication 
and encryption at:

http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/PEMPGP.html

that might have pointers that would help.

I don't believe we actually have "a recommended way" to do 
www-authenticate for SIP using PGP.

- --
Dean