Subject: [Sip] Asking a B2BUA to add a party

From: Baniel Uri-CUB001 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:44:16 -0500

Say a UA A talks with UA B via B2BUA X. A wants to add an additional party, UA C to the call.
A wants to "ask" X to initiate the addition of C to the call. I can think of INFO or NOTIFY (w/ implicit subscription) sent from A to X as the simplest way to trigger the necessary action in X. It might be even the method MESSAGE with some text which is meaningful to X...

Is anyone aware of more "standardize" (but simple) way to accomplish that? In general I am asking about a SIP standardized way for a SIP element A to ask another SIP element B to perform an action, which is related to an existing dialog(s), without the need to use an additional protocol.

Thx
-uri (Baniel)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:07:40 -0400

A focus is a standardized form of b2bua, and the conferencing framework 
provides several ways to ask the focus to add a participant. The 
SIP-based mechanism involves sending it a REFER. See 
draft-ietf-sipping-conferencing-framework and 
draft-ietf-sipping-cc-conferencing.

This, of course, requires that the focus be visible as a focus; i.e., 
its not a transparent b2bua that happens to have inserted itself on the 
call path. In those cases, it is nonsensical IMHO to ask it to do 
something for you, since you dont know its there.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com