Subject: [Sip] The security-flows document -- use it or lose it?

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:28:42 -0500

We've looked a couple of times at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-sip-sec-flows-03.txt

and said it was useful and needed to be done.

But Cullen tells me that he's just not getting any feedback on it, and 
that there may not be any point in talking about it any more at SIP:

So I'd like to ask the WG:

1) Do you want to see this published as a WG item and will you support 
this work by publicly committing the 100 or so hours needed for each of 
several reviewers to finalize the document?

2) Would we rather see Cullen publish this as an individual effort, and 
perhaps refine it successively in the future?

3) Should we give the problem up as too difficult or not interesting at 
this time, thank Cullen for all his hard work, and suggest he work on 
other more fruitful topics?

Thanks,

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Nils Ohlmeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:29:08 +0200

Hi,

inline

> several reviewers to finalize the document?

Short: I (would) support it.

Long: As in my opinion the whole topic of secure call flows in SIP is far less 
understood by the majority of the implementors as the majority might think I 
(would) strongly support this document. At least at the last SIPit it was 
very valuable.
I assume the lack of feedback is caused by the fact that everybody just uses 
this document as a reference example to get their own implementations 
running. And the open questions are then direct against the documents which 
are defining the standards but not against this examples.

> perhaps refine it successively in the future?

No.

> other more fruitful topics?

No.

  Nils