Subject: RE: [Sip] GRUU and Anonymity

From: "Andrew Allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:15:07 -0400

Im surprised that Dean hasn't already commented that in Dallas it's
somewhat similar (except that there they grab a gun!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF) [mailto:[email-masked]]

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:31 AM
To: Juha Heinanen; Paul Kyzivat
Cc: IETF SIP List
Subject: RE: [Sip] GRUU and Anonymity

In Finland people don't call the police. They grab a knife and take care
of things themselves :) 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 12. syyskuuta 2006 16:14
> To: Paul Kyzivat
> Cc: IETF SIP List
> Subject: Re: [Sip] GRUU and Anonymity
> 
> Paul Kyzivat writes:
> 
>  > So when somebody wants to make an anonymous call to the 
> police, to  > report some issue, you don't think it important 
> that the call be  > transferable to the correct department?
> 
> i don't believe in soviet union style system with anonymous informers.
> 
> -- juha
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use 
> [email-masked] for questions on current sip 
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
> 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:02:12 -0700

There is an book by Richard W. Stevens that promotes exactly this  
solution - ironically for the conversation here, the book is called  
"Dial 911 and Die". Myself, I'm a big fan of dialing 911 to save lives.

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:49:52 -0500

> "Dial 911 and Die". Myself, I'm a big fan of dialing 911 to save lives.

My experience to-date is that calling 911 only provides a cleanup crew 
for picking up the pieces, and they only pick up the big pieces and 
leave the smaller ones behind. Of course, 911 response in my neck of the 
woods is measured in hours, and then only if the one ambulance or the 
one deputy working the south end of the county happen to be free right 
now. Fortunately there are some volunteer responders. If someone reports 
a fire, we take marshmallows, because all that's left by the time we get 
there are some nice coals for cooking on, and because marshmallows are 
about the most useful thing the volunteers have for taking to fires. 
Well, marshmallows and some long sticks for roasting them on.

Oddly enough, I saw a car drive off the road, crash into a tree, catch 
fire, and (more or less) explode earlier today. I tried calling 911, and 
failed. The occupants were apparently saved by their airbags, but I'm 
afraid the tree didn't make it.

And if anybody makes a crack about Juha or I serving a similar role in 
preventing fatalities in case of SIP-author crashes, somebody's going to 
be calling for a 911 crew to come pick up some pieces ;-)

--
Dean (tree, not airbag) Willis