Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'Rejecting Anonymous Requests in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:57:13 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Rejecting Anonymous Requests in the Session Initiation Protocol 
  (SIP)'
  <draft-ietf-sip-acr-code-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-acr-code-05.txt

Technical Summary

This document defines an extension to the Session Initiation Protocol
providing a new response code that may be used to reject an anonymous
request so that the requesting party can understand that the request was
rejected because it was made anonymously and could reasonably be expected
to succeed if retried without anonymity.

Working Group Summary

The requirement addressed by this document was identified by ETSI TISPAN.
The SIPPING working group discussed the requirement and determined that a
SIP extension would be required to address that requirement. The technique
specified by this document was originally introduced in an individual
document submitted by Jonathan Rosenberg and discussed in the SIP working
group. The SIP working group rapidly achieved consensus on the approach
and recommended establishing a working group milestone for this work.
There was no controversy within the SIP working group on the direction of
this work.

Document Quality

This is a very simple extension to the SIP protocol. It is expected to be
widely implemented in SIP systems interacting with the switched telephone
networks of the world. Since it addresses requirements from ETSI TISPAN,
participants from that organization were asked to review the specification
and reported that it is suitable for their needs.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Dean Willis. The responsible area director is
Cullen Jennings. No IANA expert, MIB doctor, or other specialized
contributor is required.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip