Subject: [Sip] draft-gunn-sip-req-for-rph-in-responses-00 and draft-polk-sip-rph-in-responses-00

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:38:08 -0800

First thank you Janet and others for writing this up as draft - it  
makes the whole thing easier to discuss and get to resolution on.

Let me expand the example in figure 2 a bit. Same call flow but  
imagine there was an additional proxy, called P,  between A and the  
GETS AS and this proxy controlled some policy enforcement point that  
in the end impacted the reservation.

Few questions

1) is B required to copy the value from the INVITE to the 183

2) how does P decide if will use the value in the 183 or not

3) is A required to use the value in the 183 for the reservation

What I am trying to get at here is if we need a value in the response  
that is just a hint on what value would be good to use and  
reservation system will enforce it if the wrong value is used, or if  
we need something that is not a hint and more of a command to the  
policy system that a particular value is being used. If all that is  
needed is a hint of what will work, then that is much like the port  
number the UAS puts in an SDP and does not need any security  
properties other than integrity.From [email-masked] Thu Nov 29 22:41:03 2007
Impp: xmpp:[email-masked]
From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:38:08 -0800
To: SIP <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Sip] draft-gunn-sip-req-for-rph-in-responses-00 and
	draft-polk-sip-rph-in-responses-00

First thank you Janet and others for writing this up as draft - it  
makes the whole thing easier to discuss and get to resolution on.

Let me expand the example in figure 2 a bit. Same call flow but  
imagine there was an additional proxy, called P,  between A and the  
GETS AS and this proxy controlled some policy enforcement point that  
in the end impacted the reservation.

Few questions

1) is B required to copy the value from the INVITE to the 183

2) how does P decide if will use the value in the 183 or not

3) is A required to use the value in the 183 for the reservation

What I am trying to get at here is if we need a value in the response  
that is just a hint on what value would be good to use and  
reservation system will enforce it if the wrong value is used, or if  
we need something that is not a hint and more of a command to the  
policy system that a particular value is being used. If all that is  
needed is a hint of what will work, then that is much like the port  
number the UAS puts in an SDP and does not need any security  
properties other than integrity. If on the other hand this is  
something that tell the policy system what to do, it would need a  
good explanation around what the authorization process was that A and  
P used when receiving the 183.

Cullen <with my individual contributor hat on>

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip