Subject: [Sip] Certificate authentication in SIP

From: "Steve Dotson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:47:23 -0700

Based on feedback received at the last IETF SIP WG meeting, I have
updated the Certificate Authentication in SIP requirements draft, which
can be found at:
 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dotson-sip-certificate-auth-04
.txt
 
To summarize the changes made related to comments I received (and these
are not exact quotes):
 
"Pick one use case, device certificates or user certificates, and bring
that back in"
 
While I feel that both use cases are needed, I updated the draft to
focus specifically on device certificates, as there are millions of
cable devices with certificates deployed that can be leveraged.
 
"Since the edge proxy is always trusted, why not do mutual TLS to the
edge proxy and do PAID or Identity to the registrar"
 
I added this under "existing work". There were some emails between
Anupam and Jonathan a few months back on whether certificate information
needs to be passed from the edge proxy to the registrar. The outcome was
that for user certs, maybe not. However, for device certificates, since
the registrar contains the mapping that would need to exist between the
identity in the device certificate and the public identities authorized
for that device identity, the device identity would need to be passed to
the registrar somehow to make this association.
 
"We have existing solutions already"
 
As described in the "existing work" section of the draft, while there
are existing mechanisms (TLS, S/MIME, etc.), there are no documented
procedures on how to use those mechanisms for UA to registrar
authentication.
 
"Look at what has been done already and put that in the draft"
 
This was already present in the previous version.

Thanks,

Steve.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip