Subject: [Sip] RAI-ART review of draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-03

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:45:33 +0200

Hi,

I am the assigned RAI-ART reviewer for draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-03

For background on RAI-ART, please see the FAQ at 
<http://www.softarmor.com/rai/art/rai-art-FAQ.html>.

Please resolve the comments below along with any other
Last Call comments you may receive.

It may be worthwhile to include the advice in the beginning:

"Do not print all the specs cited here at once, as they
might share the fate of the rules of Brockian Ultracricket
when bound together: collapse under their own gravity and
form a black hole. [42]"

Joerg

Review of draft-ietf-sip-hitchhikers-guide-03:

This draft is ready for publication as an Informational RFC.
Please consider the suggestions and nits listed below.

Observations and suggestions:

Sect. 5, p10, RFC4244:

     "Its primary purpose _was_ in support of voicemail services."

     This reads like the document became obsolete already.
     Is this intentional?  If so, would it be useful to also
     indicate which other purposes it now serves (or none
     at all)?

Sect. 7, p13, RFC4583:

     This should go to the conferencing section (sect. 8).

Sect. 7, p13, RFCXXXX [59]:

     This should explicitly state that it builds upon the general
     mechanisms of RFC 3312 (which only is described later).

Sect. 9, p14, RFC3515:

     It may be useful to add a warning clause concerning REFER,
     e.g., along the following lines:

     "Beware that not all potential uses of REFER (neither for all
      methods nor for all URI schemes) are well defined.  Be advised
      to use only the well-defined ones and not to second guess or
      freely assume behavior for the others to avoid unexpected
      behavior of remote UAs, interoperability issues, and other
      bad surprises."

Nits:

Sect. 9, p14, RFC3515:

     2nd sentence: "Its" -> "It is"

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:16:10 -0500

Thanks for the review, Joerg. Responses below:

> when bound together: collapse under their own gravity and

Nice! Added.

>     indicate which other purposes it now serves (or none

No - its broader now in fact. Brian had a similar comment. Text 
currently reads:

<t hangText="RFC 4244, An Extension to SIP for Request History
Information (S):"> <xref target="RFC4244"/> defines the
History-Info header field, which indicates information on how a call
came to be routed to a particular destination. Its initial application
was in support of voicemail services, though it now has more broad
applicability. </t>

>     This should go to the conferencing section (sect. 8).

Its been added to that section, but it has non-conferencing 
applicability too (PTT). So I think it should also remain in this section.

>     mechanisms of RFC 3312 (which only is described later).

[59] *is* RFC3312 so I am confused about which item you are referring to.

>      behavior of remote UAs, interoperability issues, and other

ok

>     2nd sentence: "Its" -> "It is"

fixed.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   499 Thornall St.
Cisco Fellow                                   Edison, NJ 08837
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com