Subject: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Forking Proxies
	Author(s)       : R. Sparks, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-07.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2008-07-03

This document normatively updates RFC 3261, the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP), to address a security vulnerability identified in SIP
proxy behavior.  This vulnerability enables an attack against SIP
networks where a small number of legitimate, even authorized, SIP
requests can stimulate massive amounts of proxy-to-proxy traffic.
This document strengthens loop-detection requirements on SIP proxies
when they fork requests (that is, forward a request to more than one
destination).  It also corrects and clarifies the description of the
loop-detection algorithm such proxies are required to implement.
Additionally, this document defines a Max-Breadth mechanism for
limiting the number of concurrent branches pursued for any given
request.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:00:46 +0200

(As WG cochair)

My plan is to submit the publication request on this document on close
of business on Monday.

The last few changes are minor, but if you think you need to reread this
document, then now would be an appropriate time to do it.

Regards

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-07.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Forking Proxies
	Author(s)       : R. Sparks, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-07.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2008-07-03

Additionally, this document defines a Max-Breadth mechanism for limiting
the number of concurrent branches pursued for any given request.