Subject: [Sip] Multipart/related body handling

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:59:24 +0300

Hi,

an open issue in the following draft is how to handle multipart/related:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-body-handling-02.txt

The draft currently recommends to follow the original multipart/related 
spec [RFC 2387]:

    Per [RFC2387], a
    UA processing a 'multipart/related' body processes it as a compound
    object ignoring the disposition types of the body parts within it.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2387.txt

However, there have been some discussions about SIP needing to take into 
account the disposition types of the body parts. The following draft 
illustrates why you need to take into account the body parts' 
disposition types to distinguish between XCAP diff and a resource list:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roach-sip-list-subscribe-bodies-00.txt

An example of a SIP extension that already uses multipart/related is:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4662.txt

The current proposal is to specify that, in SIP, the content disposition 
of the body parts within a multipart/related need to be considered. The 
difference between multipart/mixed and multipart/related would be that 
multipart/related would be used when the different body parts are 
related to each other through a root body, as opposed to unrelated body 
parts.

If nobody has a problem with this, we will be updating the draft 
accordingly. We will probably moving the multipart/related stuff to a 
different section, since now it appears in the guidelines section.

Cheers,

Gonzalo
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip