Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'Referring to Multiple Resources in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 02:21:45 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Referring to Multiple Resources in the Session Initiation Protocol 
   (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-multiple-refer-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-multiple-refer-03.txt

Technical Summary 

This document defines extensions to the SIP REFER method so that this
method can be used to refer servers to multiple resources. These
extensions include the use of pointers to Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI)-lists in the Refer-To header field and the "multiple-refer" SIP
option-tag. 

Working Group Summary 

The document was originally produced by the SIPPING working group, 
but was  transferred to the SIP working group due to the need to 
define a new option  tag, in conformance with RFC 3427. There
is consensus in the WG to publish this document. 

Document Quality 

There is a strong requirement from OMA for a SIP solution in this area. 

Personnel 

Keith Drage is the document shepherd for this document. 
Cullen Jennings is the responsible Area Director.

Note to RFC Editor
 
In the first paragraph of the Introduction:
OLD:
    RFC 3261 (SIP) [RFC3261] is extended by RFC 3515 [RFC3515] with a
    REFER method that allows a user agent to request a second user agent
    to send a SIP request to a third party.  Still, a number of
    applications need to request this second user agent to initiate
    transactions towards a set of destinations.

NEW:
    RFC 3261 (SIP) [RFC3261] is extended by RFC 3515 [RFC3515] with a
    REFER method that allows a user agent to request a second user agent
    to send a SIP request to a third party. For example, if Alice is in a
    call with Bob, and decides Bob needs to talk to Carol, Alice can
    instruct her SIP user agent to send a REFER request to Bob's user
    agent providing Carol's SIP Contact information. Assuming Bob has
    given it permission, Bob's UA will attempt to call Carol using that
    contact. That is, it will send an INVITE request to that contact.

    A number of applications need to request this second user agent to
    initiate transactions towards a set of destinations.

Change following reference
OLD:
[I-D.ietf-sipping-consent-framework]

NEW:
[I-D.ietf-sip-consent-framework]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip