Subject: [Sip] Perspectives for E.164 ownership

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:26:47 -0700

It seems that asking the question "Who do you think owns +1.408.555.1234" of a
bunch of network elements could be an interesting way to approach SIP's "Who
owns a certain E.164" problem.

  "Improving SSH-style Host Authentication with Multi-path Network Probing"
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~perspectives/
  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~perspectives/perspectives_usenix08.pdf  

Thoughts?
-d

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:41:56 -0400

>   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~perspectives/perspectives_usenix08.pdf  

Hmm... seems like there is a bootstrapping problem.
At the moment, there must be in excess of a billion E.164 numbers in 
use. But most network elements have no clue who owns any of them.
Most PSTN GWs don't know. I suppose the major SPs are in a position to 
figure it out, but are they willing to say?

I might eventually decide I know for a particular E.164 after having 
received a call from it and decided its the right person. But that's 
leap of faith again. And then its only me that knows, which won't help 
most other callers. And what I "know" will be the domain name that I 
get, which may the be the true one due to SBCs.

So I'm missing some piece of how this could be helpful.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:49:16 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 2:42 PM
> To: Dan Wing
> Cc: 'SIP IETF'
> Subject: Re: [Sip] Perspectives for E.164 ownership
> 
> 
> 
> Dan Wing wrote:
> use.

We don't care about those.  We only care about the ones that have
SIP endpoints and which we can establish strong cryptographic
identity -- not the ones connectable via a PSTN gateway.

-d

> But most network elements have no clue who owns any of them.