Subject: Re: [Sip] [Sip-implementors] From Tag

From: "Brett Tate" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:41:38 -0400

> Why the From-Tag is required?

Per rfc3261, the answer is that the tags and call-id identify the
dialog.

The other answer is that prior to such a requirement, requests in the
opposite direction over the dialog occasionally caused To tag to be
added because the receive was unaware that the dialog was already formed
without the tag.  Similarly a re-INVITE to audit would occasionally
caused the call to be re-established because the receiver (who didn't
add the From tag) did not notice the distinction between INVITE and
re-INVITE.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: George AK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:21:53 +0530 (IST)

One old question.
Why the From-Tag is required?
If UA communicates directlty to another UA?
If UA communicates thru a stateful Proxy to another UA?
Is B2BUA the only guy who will cry if there is no From-Tag?
If we allow the Callee to put his To-tag in the To header itself when he sending reINVITE, will it work?
 -George-

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/