Subject: [Sip] Nits in draft-ietf-sip-ua-privacy-04

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:19:54 +0000

Mayumi,

I note that my previous comments of substance have all been taken into
account.

However, nits that I sent to you privately (see attached email) have not
been into account.

In addition I have detected a further nit:

In section 5.1.1 it says:
"...and refer to Section 4.2 for details on how to obtain
   an IP address through TURN."
Since IP addresses are not mentioned in the rest of 5.1.1, this seems
irrelevant. The words should be deleted.

When these nits have been fixed, in my opinion the document will be
ready to go.

John

Subject: Nits in draft-ietf-sip-ua-privacy-03
From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mayumi Munakata" <[email-masked]>, "Shida Schubert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:35:25 -0000

Mayumi, Shida,

I am sending you nits separately. My main comments have been posted to
the SIP list.

1. "by allowing user agent to
   take control of its privacy, rather than being completely dependent
   on external privacy service."
Change to
"by allowing a user agent to
             ^^
   take control of its privacy, rather than being completely dependent
   on an external privacy service."
      ^^^

2. "If revealing the domain name in Contact
   header field "
Change to:
"If revealing the domain name in the Contact
                                 ^^^^
   header field "

3. "A user agent that is not provided with a functional anonymous IP
   address through some administrative means, MUST obtain a relayed
   address if anonymity is desired (IP address of the media relay) for
   use in SDP and in Via header.  Such IP address is to be derived from
   a STUN relay server through TURN mechanism, which allows a STUN
   server to act as a media relay."
Change to:
"A user agent that is not provided with a functional anonymous IP
address through some administrative means MUST obtain a relayed address
(IP address of a relay) if anonymity is desired for use in SDP and in
the Via header field. Such an IP address is to be derived from a STUN
relay server through the TURN mechanism, which allows a STUN server to
act as a relay."
(Various changes, including deletion of "media", since the relay is also
used for Via (signalling)).

4. "A user agent SHOULD go with option 1 to conceal its domain name in
   From header field."
Insert "the" in front of "From".

5. "If user wants both anonymity and strong identity, use a third party
   anonymization service which issues AoR for the use in From address
   which also provides SIP-Identity."
Various changes:
"If the user wants both anonymity and strong identity, a solution would
be to use a third party anonymization service that issues an Address of
Record (AoR) for use in the From header field of a request and that also
provides a SIP-Identity Authentication Service."

6. "Without privacy considerations, the bottommost Via header field
added
   by a user agent"
Add "to a request".

7. "Via header SHOULD NOT include a host name."
Change to:
"The Via header field SHOULD NOT include a host name."

8. "Furthermore, if the provider of the caller intending to obscure its
   identity consists of a small number of people (e.g. small enterprise,
   SOHO), the domain name alone can reveal the identity of the caller
   when this specification is used."
Delete "when this specification is used". It is irrelevant whether this
specification is used - the domain name can in any case reveal
information.

9. "Same can be true when the provider is large, but the receiver of the
   call only knows few people from the source of call."
Change to:
"The same can be true when the provider is large but the receiver of the
 ^^^^^                                          ^ (delete commma)
   call only knows a few people from the source of call."
                   ^^

10. "The domain name in From header can be obscured as described in
   section 5.1.2, on contrary the Contact header needs to contain a
   valid domain name at all time to function properly."
Change to:
"The domain name in the From header field can be obscured as described
in
   section 5.1.2, whereas the Contact header field needs to contain a
   valid domain name at all times in order to function properly."

11. "If one wants to assure anonymization, it is recommended for the
user
   to seek and rely on third party anonymization service."
Change "third" to "a third".

12. "A third party anonymization service provides registrar and TURN
   service which has no affiliation with the caller's provider, allowing
   caller to completely withhold its identity."
Change to:
"A third party anonymization service provides registrar and TURN
   services that have no affiliation with the caller's provider,
allowing
   the caller to completely withhold its identity."

There are still several places where "header" is used instead of "header
field". A SIP message, like an HTTP message, has only one header yet
many header fields.

Regards,

John

---

From: Mayumi Munakata <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 12:01:06 +0900

John,

Thank you for the reminder.
I am so sorry that I totally missed those
nits comments.

I will correct the draft to incorporate
your comments and submit 05 version soon.

Mayumi

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Subject:
> To:
> "Mayumi Munakata" <[email-masked]>, "Shida Schubert" 
> <[email-masked]>
> 
> To:
> "Mayumi Munakata" <[email-masked]>, "Shida Schubert" 
> <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Mayumi, Shida,
>