Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP) Diff Event Package' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration Access Protocol 
   (XCAP) Diff Event Package '
   <draft-ietf-sip-xcapevent-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-xcapevent-08.txt

Technical Summary

The XCAP (XML Configuration Access Protocol, RFC 4825) protocol
provides for change control on structured data. This specification
provides a SIP Event Paackage (RFC 3325) that can be used to monitor
changes to an XCAP document. Change notifications may include
differential changes expressed using the XCAP-Diff format described in
draft-ietf-simple-xcap-diff. This specification also provides for
initial synchronization between a stored version of an XCAP document
and a remote copy being monitored using the protocol of thsi  
specification.

Working Group Summary

This specification developed out of the larger body of configuration
management work related to SIP (RFC 3261). In particular, it relates
to XCAP (RFC 4825) and the SIP Configuration Framework
(draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework). The content of this
specification was split off from the configuration framework document
about two years ago, and has progressed independently.

Document Quality

There are existing implementations of earlier versions of the
protocol, and a significant number of vendors have committed to
implementation of the specification in the context of the Open Mobile
Alliances's Push-to-Talk Over Cellularspecification. Adam Roach
provided specific guidance and review on the SIP Event Package aspects
of this specification.

Personnel

The Proto Shepherd is Dean Willis.

RFC Editor Note

(Relevant to version -08)

These nits have been identified during /post IESG review:

1) Section 4.4 first paragraph second sentence:
   OLD:
    Only a simple subset of that format is required, a flat list of XCAP
R-URIs.
                                                                        
^^^^^^
   NEW:
    Only a simple subset of that format is required, a flat list of XCAP
request URIs.

2) Section 4.4 last paragraph, last sentence:
   OLD: (<service> element)
   NEW: (where a <service> element is selected)

3) Section 4.7, 5th paragraph, last sentence:
   OLD: In a corner case,
   NEW: In a corner case (such as when the XML prolog changes),

4) Section 4.7, 12th paragraph (end of page 10), 3rd sentence:
   OLD: list of XCAP R-URIs
   NEW: list of XCAP request URIs

5) Section 4.7, last paragraph, last sentence: (double not)
   OLD: does not not have
                 ^^^
   NEW: does not have

6) Section 5 last paragraph: (Replace <services> with <service> twice)
  OLD:
   Note that the resource-list "index" document included only the new
   ETag value, as the document existed during the subscription time.  In
   the "pidf-manipulation" collection, there is only a single document
   for which the user has read privilege.  The <services> element exists
                                                       ^
   within the rls-services "index" document and its content is shown.
   Note also that the <services> element was located using the Default
                              ^
   Document Namespace (no prefix in XCAP Node Selector value) although
   it has an "s" prefix in the source document. 

  New:
   Note that the resource-list "index" document included only the new
   ETag value, as the document existed during the subscription time.  In
   the "pidf-manipulation" collection, there is only a single document
   for which the user has read privilege.  The <service> element exists
   within the rls-services "index" document and its content is shown.
   Note also that the <service> element was located using the Default
   Document Namespace (no prefix in XCAP Node Selector value) although
   it has an "s" prefix in the source document.

7) Appendix A - First paragraph: 
   OLD: the SIP R-URIs of 
   NEW: the SIP request URIs of