Subject: [sipcore] #34: Semantics of History-Info values need to be documented explicitly

From: "sipcore issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:08:21 -0000

#34: Semantics of History-Info values need to be documented explicitly
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  worley@…             |       Owner:            
     Type:  enhancement          |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  critical             |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rfc4244bis           |     Version:            
 Severity:  In WG Last Call      |    Keywords:            
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
 The draft doesn't give a clear specification of History-Info *as a data
 structure*, that is, if one were to look at a request containing an H-I
 header, (1) How would one verify that it had been constructed correctly?
 and (2) What are the meanings of the various fields (in particular, their
 relationships)?  Many of the components of History-Info are described, but
 their descriptions are not as exact as they need to be.

 Presumably the details of the "procedures" set how History-Info actually
 works -- but that is the same problem as having a data structure in a
 program that is only "documented" by the code that modifies it.  In
 particular, if there was specification of H-I as a data structure, that
 specification could be compared against the procedures to verify that both
 the data structure specification and the procedures are correct.  Or more
 importantly, the reader could compare their interpretations of the two to
 verify that their understanding of both is correct.

 (I am willing to help write this.)

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sipcore/trac/ticket/34>
sipcore <http://tools.ietf.org/sipcore/>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:46:11 -0500

You'll have to send text on this one - it's not clear to me at all
what you are talking about.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:08 PM, sipcore issue tracker
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>