Subject: [sipcore] #7: Request timeouts are 408, NOT 487 status codes

From: "sipcore issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:27:12 -0000

#7: Request timeouts are 408, NOT 487 status codes
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hkaplan@…               |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect                  |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  minor                   |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rfc4244bis              |     Version:  2.0       
 Severity:  In WG Last Call         |    Keywords:            
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Section 6.3.3 says:
    If a request has timed out (instead of being explicitly rejected), it
    SHOULD be treated as if a 487 "Request Terminated" error response
    code was received.

 Using 487 for this is also mentioned in section 5.1.2.

 Why?  That is not what SIP does.  A request timeout is a 408.  A 487 is
 used for an explicit INVITE early termination (i.e., through a CANCEL),
 although rfc3261 also says to use it if an INVITE's Expire header value's
 time fires (section 13.3.1 of 3261), but that's not a "request timeout"
 (and really 3261 contradicts itself for using 487 for Expires too, in
 section 21.5.5).

 Change this to 408, in sections 5.1.2 and 6.3.3.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sipcore/trac/ticket/7>
sipcore <http://tools.ietf.org/sipcore/>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:05:42 -0500

Yep.  A third good catch.  I'll fix this as well.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM, sipcore issue tracker
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>