Subject: [sipcore] #1: Editorial: section 3 is not an "Overview of Operations"

From: "sipcore issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:19:13 -0000

#1: Editorial: section 3 is not an "Overview of Operations"
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hkaplan@…               |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect                  |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  minor                   |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rfc4244bis              |     Version:  2.0       
 Severity:  In WG Last Call         |    Keywords:            
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Section 3 is titled "Overview of Operations".  Of its 4 pages, it has
 about two or three paragraphs which might actually qualify for that title.
 It has about 2 pages of rationale for why the mechanism exists/is-needed,
 and another couple pages of an example description and call flow diagram.
 So... move the first page and a half to a "Background" or "Motivation"
 section (or just delete it).  In fact, ISTM this is the text of the
 original rfc4424's "Background" section.

 The rest of it is still not really an overview of operations, except by-
 example I guess.  What's needed is some text providing an overview of
 operations.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sipcore/trac/ticket/1>
sipcore <http://tools.ietf.org/sipcore/>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:07:37 -0500

Hadriel,

I appreciate your taking the time to do a detailed review and
separating out the issues. Obviously, I'll reply to each separately.

Yeah - I don't disagree. Alot of original text was pulled and then the
doc reorganized, removing the background section as you note.  I'll
revisit and update the doc to address these concerns.

Thanks,
Mary.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM, sipcore issue tracker
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:30:45 -0400

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mary Barnes [[email-masked]]

Quite true -- the current document has a "can't see the forest for the trees" problem.  A good overview would provide the reader with a context for the detailed descriptions that dominate the document.

Dale