Subject: [sipcore] Lars Eggert's Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam-04: (with DISCUSS)

From: Lars Eggert via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 02:54:22 -0700

Lars Eggert has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam-04: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking over Alissa's DICSUSS, as a reminder to check this when a new revision becomes available:

> (1) It seems to me that there is a privacy consideration that is not discussed
> in this document, namely the unwanted exposure of the call types to third
> parties. If I'm receiving a lot of calls from the debt collection agency and
> my UA displays that information in my call log for anyone who might have
> access to my phone, or an eavesdropper can glean that information from
> intercepting my SIP signaling, as a user I probably want to be able to tell my
> SIP provider to disable this. Perhaps this capability to request that certain
> Call-Info headers not be sent is captured generically in RFC 3261 (I don't
> remember), in which case pointing that out here would be good. Or if not, I
> think something needs to be said about the ability for callees to turn off the
> transmission of these type labels.
>
> (2) I'm a little uncomfortable with this document being the definitive source
> for call types for all phone systems everywhere, since presumably these types
> have other uses in telephony beyond the use envisioned by this spec. Is there
> another document that could be cited as the definitive source for these types?