Subject: Re: [Sipping] suggesting an addition req for draft-culpepper-sipping-app-interact-reqs-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:16:03 -0400

instead of using things like SSRC, one could probably use a virtual 
identifier for all 'sessions' that originate from a particular virtual UI 
component.
this would also encompass non media/RTP sessions like app. sharing or chat 
sessions ? 

On a separate note : stepping back, I was hoping to discuss more on the 
motivation of using SIP and at what level of granularity in this entire 
thread of thought. Is there another draft that targets these issues more 
(please refer to my earlier comments) or was it just me who felt this 
discussion was needed first ?

regds
arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems
11717 Exploration Lane, Germantown MD 20876
(O): 301-212-7860        (M): 240-475-2139

Eric Cheung <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
05/15/02 02:55 PM

        To:     [email-masked], [email-masked]
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        [Sipping] suggesting an addition req for 
draft-culpepper-sipping-app-interact-reqs-01.txt

Hi Bert, Robert

It seems to me that an important requirement would be that user inputs
and media stream(s) can be later correlated in time.  For example, a
voice mail system need to correlate a key press and the audio stream to
determine the end of the recording.  Another example is a multi-modal
system where user input includes clicking on a web page, pressing a key
on a phone, and speech via automatic speech recognition.  Again, the
click or key press must be correlated to the audio stream.

Therefore, I would suggest adding a requirement such as:

  For user activity indications, the mechanism must provide some form of
indication of occurrence in time relative to one or more media streams.

As an example of a possible solution, this may be the SSRC of a media
stream the reporter is transmitting and the timestamp when the input
occurred.

Regards
Eric Cheung

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Bert Culpepper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:24:41 -0400

Hi Arjun,

> discussion was needed first ?

No, I'd like to see more discussion on how much of the "solution" would be
based on SIP.  But the way forward seems to be the "Markup" approach
(draft-rosenberg-sipping-markup-00.txt) based on discussion at the Interim
Meeting (and lack thereof on the list :).  But the markup I-D does contain
some motivational dicsussion, so more discussion may not be needed.
However, I'm listening :)

Regards,
Bert

> arjun
[snip]