Subject: [Sipping] Some comments on draft-ietf-sipping-sigcomp-sip-dictionary-00.txt

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (EPL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:41:21 +0200

Hi all,

I have some minor comments on the dictionary document.

- The dictionary size is not mentioned or discussed anywhere,
  would it not be reasonable to have that in the document?

- The title says "The SIP/SDP static dictionary...", which I
  think is the right title. However, the document is not at
  all places clear and consistent with the purpose and status
  of this dictionary.
  * In the abstract it says "a SIP/SDP-specific static dictionary",
    which should be "the", and it should be clear that this is
    a mandatory available state item.
  * In the introduction, fourth paragraph, it also says "a
    dictionary".
  * In the second paragraph of section 2, it could be clarified
    that this dictionary MUST be available in all SigComp
    implementations for SIP/SDP. 

- Section 2, indentation of heading

- Section 2, 5th paragraph. "in" missing. "This is the dictionary
  that is included in the SigComp implementation."

- Section 2, description of Pr. "Lower priorities indicate 
  higher probability...", this looks very strange in my mind.

- Section 2, Priorities.
  What is the intension with these priorities? This is a
  mandatory static dictionary, so all items must still be 
  part of the always available dictionary, right?

- Section 2, second paragraph on page 4, third sentence. Replace
  "there" with "the".

- Section 6, indentation of heading

BR
/Lars-Erik

-----------------------------------
Lars-Erik Jonsson, M.Sc
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research and Experiments
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit
Ericsson AB
Box 920, S-971 28 Luleå, Sweden
E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +46 920 20 21 07
Fax: +46 920 20 20 99
Home: +46 920 999 57

My opinions are my personal opinions and should not be considered
as the opinions of my employer, if not explicitly stated. 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:05:21 +0300

Lars-Erik:

We will take your comments into the next version of the document.

Regarding the size of the dictionary, it is 3636 octets, as derived from
the hexadecimal in section 5,

>   higher probability...", this looks very strange in my mind.
 
Agree, the text needs to be reworded.

> - Section 2, Priorities.
>   What is the intention with these priorities? This is a

We were using the priorities when we defined the actual order
of each string into the dictionary. Some algorithms, such a 
DEFLATE, may run optimized when the most used strings are located
at the bottom of the dictionary. If you take a look, most of
the strings with priority 1 are located at the bottom of the 
dictionary.

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                        Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 5140002