Subject: [Sipping] RE: Session Initiation protocol and videogame consoles

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:02:35 -0400

>Tunneling protocol data inside SIP is generally considered a bad idea,
>as it would dramatically alter the workload of the SIP servers.

Isn't that what SIMPLE does?

>It is
>also a bit weird. If you think about it that would be pretty much like
>sending game messages as instant messages.

Well, yeah, that's kind of the point.  If the players' firewalls don't let 
them connect directly to each other at the IP level, then an IM-like 
system can be used as an application-level virtual network.

>That may work for announcing
>your chess moves, but if you try that with a first person shooter
>neither the IM provider not the game player are going to like the
>result.

True.  Maybe I'd've thought of that if I played first person shooters. :-)

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|Do not suspect that I am not human.                     |
\========================================================/

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP